Identify this piece of hardware

On 1/8/2010 10:45 AM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

Sorry, I don't believe you.

Hey, I know: let's do a little poll. Right here. How many of you can see this image? My guess is most readers here. Hell, even Google Groups carried the GIF.

I think there's a small minority of news carriers that strip out "binaries". (There may be a majority of carriers that strip out such attachments if they are *above a certain size*.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Google Groups? That's a website that ports usenet to a web interface. Doesn't really count as part of usenet. It's an alternative for nitwits who are too stupid to use a real newsreader. See also, "webtv"

Sorry, but you are simply misinformed on this point.

Reply to
salty

On 1/8/2010 11:10 AM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

Seems like the burden of proof is on your side, then. Now, I don't know for sure that most news providers don't strip out "binaries", but I do know that I have never used one that did. Can you provide some evidence for your assertion?

And did *you* see my attachment?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

No. I now use Newsguy as my usenet provider. They carry binaries, but only in binaries groups. They strip binaries from anywhere they don't belong. Previously I had a very large provider, Earthlink, who also stripped them out. My other previous provider, SBCGlobal, another very large company, likewise stripped them out. Actually, SBCGlobal and Earthlink would filter the entire post out, not just strip off the attachment.

If you want you posts to be seen by as many people as possible, it is strongly suggested that you post properly. All you do by posting binaries where they don't belong is guarantee that you have a much smaller audience. That seems foolish.

Reply to
salty

I haven't seen very many binaries posted here at all (if any). Your attachment got through on one of my computers and not on the other. Both use eternal-September. Looks like it was "moderated" out.

Common Usenet etiquette:

"Don't post "binaries" in non-binary groups. Binaries refer to non-text files, i.e. applications, images, etc. If you really feel the need to post a binary file, then find a newsgroup with the name "binary" in it, post it there, and then make a short announcement in the regular newsgroup as to where the binary posting can be found. WWW, FTP, and e-mail are better ways of distributing files."

Master Betty

I see the gif image.

I call it an eyelet. I have a number of lengths but the eye is the same on all. The threads are 14mm fine. Mine are to be used to mount threw the frame of a motorcycle and the sidecar mounts. They are used for the adjustment rod between the bike and sidecar to adjust the sidecar 2 degrees off perpendicular of the bike away from the sidecar. Tracking for the sidecar is a different adjustment.

I'll bet you didn't expect that answer. To keep within home repair, the bikes are in the garage. The garage door works perfectly.

Reply to
RLM

Usenet tradition? I'm not objecting- just observing. I'd just as soon everyone started posting tiny pics and snipping text- maybe put a 100 line limit on posts. It would work for me. In 15 years of hanging out on Usenet yours is the first attachment I've seen. [except maybe for the first year when I had aol & a dial-up. Since then I've always had good news-servers, all of whom have kept text-only newsgroups text-only.]

T'ain't magic- most servers strip them or drop the post so it doesn't propagate. Individual.net is one of those servers. Might have been the size, or it be the way Thunderbird handles them.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

-snip-

If you posted it again I didn't see it. I did see it the first time. Just for giggles- post it again-- only this time put it in the content of the post, not after the sig delimiter.

from my servers FAQ ;

"We use a program called "cleanfeed" however which functions as a filter against spam and binaries in discussion groups. Every article that arrives is examined by the program and removed from the server if necessary. "

It is common on all of the better newsfeeds.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

On 1/8/2010 11:56 AM Master Betty spake thus:

That doesn't even make sense; how could it have been "moderated out" if you saw it on one computer? (Unless you saw it there before it was removed.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I've noticed the obvious spam gets posted then removed. So I was guessing that's what they did.

Reply to
Master Betty

I googled "eye bolt" under images and found some that looked a lot like this

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

On 1/8/2010 6:05 PM Master Betty spake thus:

Well, that would make sense.

And to think that someone--an actual hoomin bean--goes through each and every posting in every newsgroup on their server. That's a hell of a job, dontcha think?

At least it's better customer service than I get from my ISP.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 1/8/2010 6:08 PM JIMMIE spake thus:

Close, but no cigar. None of the pictures I saw look exactly like the pieces I have. They're more or less morphologically the same (sorry to use such a big word, but it fits), but there are some important differences. My pieces have a fairly long unthreaded shank, with relatively few threads at the end, which suggests they're supposed to stand proud of the surface they're attached to. There's also a ring, like an attached washer, below the "eye".

Someone else here suggested a clevis: sorry, not that either. A clevis generally has two prongs through which a pin goes. So I still don't know what to call these.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

At least your ISP is still in business...ATT is pulling the plug on Worldnet; or so they say.

Reply to
Master Betty

On 1/8/2010 6:49 PM Master Betty spake thus:

Well, that's another odd thing. My ISP is tiny and leases news service from other vendors. My news feed used to come from Verizon, and I remember seeing all kinds of postings here and elsewhere about how they were pulling the plug on Usenet. Well, I still get Usenet loud and clear. I'm not sure if my ISP went to another vendor or not (I guess if Verizon shut down, they must have), but I haven't heard squat about it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Your defense of your posting peccadilloes caused you to take your eye off the ball. If you had searched for clevis pins, and did an image search from there, or leafed through a catalog, it would have led you to this:

RicodJour

On 1/8/2010 8:56 PM RicodJour spake thus:

Me? take my eye off the ball? I represent that remark.

Anyhow, bingo: you win the contest. Your $2.50 check will be mailed to you shortly.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yes, this could be a male clevis which would normally fit in a slot or female clevis, the one with two prongs. Function rather than form often determines its name. shackle, eyebolt or clevis may all be correct. Hope this helps. Dont expect to find this at the hardware store.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I saw it just fine with Thunderbird and Eternal September. The belligerents are correct about the good practice of posting pictures to a free image sharing website. It puts a lot less of a load on news server's bandwidth and makes it a lot easier on folks who have a slow connection. It's also better to show a link to a site than to quote the whole darn page. There is this one jerk who posts to some of the other groups I peruse who has an obnoxious signature that takes up a page or more that he attaches to every post he makes. The guy is one of the few people to occupy my kill file, not because of topic of his posts but because of his bandwidth hogging sig.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Now that someone posted a link to a picture properly, I know what it is. Those shackles are VERY common, and it is hard to imagine a hardware store that DIDN'T carry them. They are used for wire rigging, such as used to cable trees. You'll have to buy the shackle along with the threaded clevis pin, but they aren't expensive, either. If you want stainless steel versions, they are all over the place on boat rigging.

Reply to
salty