Idea: Levee Repair

The ones that are damaged, sure why not. It looked to me like most of them just slid back and forth, so they may be able to be pushed/lifted back into place. They're not going to throw them away unless they've made sure they're damaged and that there's no way to save them. Too expensive an item.

RicodJour

I think you got a winning idea there.... Dont just post it here, tell someone that might be able to use the idea. I dont have a clue who though. The Red Cross? The Army corp of engineering? Maybe email some of the New Orleans tv stations (the stations are shut down, but their websites are active). Contact the State government? (Forget the federal govt, they spend 6 months doing paperwork before they even consider it).

That's an excellent idea.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Just occurred to me. See those bridge spans across the Lake Pontchartrain and elsewhere that had been displaced or dislodged into the lake? They will have to be removed as shipping hazards and for many other reasons. Why not get some of those heavy lift floating cranes to salvage them and use them to shore up the leveee breaches. They look the ideal size, weight and dimensions. And they are available immediately. Sandbags just don't seem up to the job.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

They have to fill the breach before they can shore it up. That's what they are doing right now. They are using more than sandbags, they have trucks, track hoes, dozers and cranes on the site. I was just watching them on the tube. It looks like they have a pretty good handle on at least the breach they were showing. They were filling and pushing the material across to fill the levee and a crane was driving sheet pile. I think they know what they are doing without any help from us. CR

Reply to
CR

The sandbags being dropped into the breach have cement already mixed, so it will be stronger than at first glance....

meAT

Amen! 20/20 hindsight Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest. :(

Not that some things obviously could have been done better/quicker, but ....

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Not really. By the time the barges and cranes that would be needed could be moved into place the water would likely have subsided. One doesn't simply move a multi-ton segment of roadway without significant effort and equipment. That and it'd be just as complex to move them out of the way once a permanent fix was built. It's far better to use other local rubble or material as fill. It appears that's what they're doing by chopping up a local roadway to fill a gap.

Reply to
wkearney99

I've yet to hear anyone's called Bob Villa, or the Home & Garden folks in on it.

Reply to
G Henslee

CR wrote: ....

Aw, shoot! Damn'd competent Corps... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I think what were going to see is and are seeing already Why don't we? What if? We should of ? Why didn't we ? They should of? I told them ? We new? We are? I think you get the point, The list is endless.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Katrina took out plenty a water navigation devices for the local pilots. When the pilots run the waterways and determine them safe, ships can get in.

There will be piles and a year or so of mountains of rubble (like Andrew in Miami), it will need to (or might) be barged out

The high rises are still there and they have huge pilings...this levy once shored up should become the freeways and highways out of the THE Big Easy! Granted they fail too, but they will need much more work to meet the future needs.

Every house rebuilt ought to be on stilts, flood the place and let it be another Venice /\\/00\\/\\

Oren

meAT

Personally I want thousands of big-ass kevlar water bags, tied to pilings...

Reply to
Goedjn