Icemaker connected to water cooler

I just got a new fridge, I really want the ice maker to work, my spouse says it's not necessary.which means he's not doing it we have galvanized steel pipes and the last time I messed with the plumbing I broke the pipe. .have 3 huge holes in my garage trying to fix that . .it kept busting...I do have one of the bottom loaded water coolers can I somehow use that to connect....I do see the flojet options....it just seems that this does the same thing...and before we get all crazy on my fridge choice it was on clearance because of a dent, I didn't ask permission...I'm already in trouble...but I really want the ice maker as I'm a smoothie junkie please help
On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 01:14:03 GMT, Jannelle Poole

Can you snake a copper tube over to the sink, maybe through the cabinets? You should be able to piggyback off the cold water there without too much trouble.
On 7/8/2018 9:14 PM, Jannelle Poole wrote:

I see a few options. Get a new spouse Hire a plumber to run a water line Somehow hook up your water cooler.
The problem I see is water pressure. I don't know what your model has, but most just use gravity for the water to flow. You need some minimal amount of pressure to the fridge. If the Flojet can keep the line pressured when the fridge calls for water, that can work. You'd need a relay to turnit on when the valve on the fridge opens. Talk to a good applianc repair guy.
Personally, I would not want to live without a water dispenser and ice in the fridge. We use a lot of it.
On Sunday, July 8, 2018 at 9:37:23 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

el

.and

Apparently the Flojet is there to provide the pressure. It's designed to wo rk with one of those big spring water bottles and pump it to a sink dispens er, fridge, etc. It keeps the outgoing side at preddure. So if she has a w ater cooler I think it should work as long as they can connect the suction side of the new Flojet to the piping inside the water cooler and have AC po wer available. The plus would be using good bottled water for the ice.
On Sun 08 Jul 2018 06:37:22p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

I don't mind not having a water dispenser. When I did have one I rarely used it. However, an ice maker is essential as we use a ton of ice. Whem we have more than 4 people here I stockpile several extra containers full of ice and put in our 2nd freezer.

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 02:59:24 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright

We have 2 fridges with ice makers. That tends to give us all we need.
On Sun 08 Jul 2018 06:14:03p, Jannelle Poole told us...

Adapting some contraption like that is most likely going to be a total disappointment. Generally speaking, except for portable ice makers that have self contained tanks, are meant to operate on household water pressure. The solenoid valve that controls the water flow to the ice maker is dependent on that pressure. A good example of failure is when most reverse osmosis filters are mounted under the sink and feed both a spout on the sink as well as a line to the ice maker. RO filters typically produce a fairly low pressure slow flow and that prevents the solenoid from sensing the necessary pressure to activate.
If I were you I would abandon all of these workarounds, bite the bullet and "T" with a shutoff vale to a main line. You should never have a problem after that. Yes, it's bit of effort but it will pay off and avoid disapointments.

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 02:47:12 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright

My ice maker has been running off an R/O for 34 years with no problems. The R/O typically puts out 20-30 PSI tho and when the tank is completely full it is closer to full water pressure that is 30-50 from the well pump. You may need to adjust the fill time tho.
On Sunday, July 8, 2018 at 10:47:16 PM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

The Flowjet pump that the poster specifically refered to provides that.
The solenoid valve that controls the water

The line is old galvanized so the "bite" may indeed be a very big one.
You should never