Ice & Water making Fridge Leaking at water spout.

We have a Whirlpool Gold fridge, that comes with ice maker and water spout. I connected RO water system a month ago as the water supply. And just yesterday the water spout at the dispenser station started leaking. It's not leaking anywhere else. Any idea what could be causing this? And is it an easy fix? thank.

p.s. the dripping has slowed down by 50% the second day.

Reply to
Lab

I posted a similar question a few days ago for a Frigidaire. No offers of help (but I did learn a lot about Racoons). ;) You might want to try this link:

F.H.

I have a GE fridge that drips every time I change the water filter in the fridge. I assume its because of air in the line, but after purging it for 3 minutes, and after 2-3 days the leak stops, so it must have something to do with air. Not sure if this helps but try purging it for a few minutes.

Reply to
Mikepier

Tried that, let it run for quite awhile. Replaced the filter cover (screwing it slowly around the large O-ring) then after filling a couple of large glasses it seems to blow out the O-ring and water gushes over the top. Then it slows to a drip, drip drip. When you unscrew the cover the O-ring is in place so its hard to tell if it came out and then fell back as the cover was unscrewed or what. Takes a pretty good bit of pressure to blow past the O-ring and choking down the inlet valve had no effect on it. Somehow, the pressure is building up. If you click on this link and scroll down you can see a diagram of the assembly:

(waiting on a reply from the repair clinic link)

F.H.

That's typically a sign that gunk is stuck in the solenoid valve and preventing a good seal on close. Sometimes you can disassemble the valve and clean it out. But most of the time, the gunk gets embedded in the rubber and makes a permanent indentation.

Also, it's never a good idea to run RO water to the fridge. It sounds good in theory, but not in practice. RO water leaches minerals out of the holding tank in the fridge (at least that's what tech support told me).

Reply to
Rick-Meister

Leaching what minerals? Why would I want to have any minerals in the holding tank, all I want in the tank is RO water. Or am I missing something? Where is that tank, somewhere accessible? thanks.

Reply to
Lab

Here's the way it was explained to me by an engineer at an appliance mfgr: Because everything has been taken out of the RO water, it acts like a solvent and dissolves minerals in the metal of the holding tank. He said that after several years of running RO water through those tanks and water lines they develop pinhole leaks.

It's the same reason you're not supposed to use RO water in a steam iron. I have a Rowenta iron and it specifically states not to use RO water, only distilled.

Hey, I don't make the news. I just report it.

Reply to
Rick-Meister

Most refrigerators with ice makers say not to use an RO system. I don't know about the mineral thing, but you get pressure drips and the fill valve may not function properly.

The water tank in my fridge is near the bottom inside the door. Plastic tank. If you take the veggie drawer out it is visible. YMMV.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski