Ice Maker Problem

We have a standard refrigerator, about 10 years-old, with the freezer on top and an icemaker. Several weeks ago we had a problem where the freezer was working fine but the refrigerator was warm. Our service guy replaced the defrost timer (I believe that's what he called it) and everything's been fine. What's weird though is he predicted that we would have icemaker problems and sure enough starting yesterday the ice maker is acting up. It's coming out kind of wet and forming a big giant iceberg in the tray. We called today and he said a new ice maker is the only solution. I find that hard to believe. Any thoughts? I would appreciate anyone's opinion.

PS - He also stated that you're lucky to get ten years out of a refrigerator these days. I thought that was kind of odd, too.

Reply to
jeffy3

He's proably right. It wil be cheaper to replace the icemaker than to get the parts and repair it. YOu can buy them and do it yourself if you are so inclinced.

They are not as good as the older models, IMO, but I think he is wrong there. Time will tell.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Based on some internet research I've done I am assuming the thermostat is shot since what is happening is the ice is being ejected with water before it has solidly formed. It looks like the thermostat is the most expensive component to replace. Probably should just get a new ice maker, as you said.

Reply to
jeffy3