Ice Maker in Kenmore Refridgerator

This is a 4 month old refridg and when it makes ice, the cubes tend to clump up. The manual actually says to shake the ice container back and forth to break up the clumps, but these are BIG clumps, approaching the size of a softball that do not break up. Does anyone know what could cause this ?

Thanks

Reply to
yes_we_are

Set the refridegerator at a lower temp. Then try seeing how it does for a few days , if it stops clumping up, then you've got the cure.

It's amazing how sometimes Ice takes longer to freeze than you expect, if the temp is just slightly lower than freezing in there.

Let us know what the oputcome no matter what you find out. I have known others that have had similar problems.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

This is Turtle.

Read the section on sizing the cubes with a control on the ice maker. There is a knob or screw to reduce or increase the size of the cubes and should be in the instruction of the ice maker or refrigerator instructions. When the cubes stick together , your just asking for too big of cubes. Reduce the cube size and this will not happen.

If the ice maker is electronic and does not have a adjustment on it. Call the place you bought it from and replace the ice maker or a new electronic board. This is all under 1 year warranty of the refrigerator and is 100% under warranty work / No Cost / free.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

My kenmore did that for awhile, but I just lowered the temperature of the freezer side and the problem went away. But it could have been cured by the water filter supplying less water over time. Currently the last row of cubes makes half cubes so there is absolutely no overflow.

Also make sure the door over the cubes is shut.

My new fridge took nearly a week to fill the cube box. I never figured it would take so long.

Reply to
PJx

"yes_we_are" wrote

Use a softball bat to break them up?

Reply to
Dr, Hardcrab

Thanks to everyone for the ideas, i will try these and update this message. I've considered taking a softball bat to the fridge.

Reply to
yes_we_are

This is Turtle.

Having too large of cubes in the ice maker is covered by Sears for one year. Now unless your scared they will lie and call it your problem in someway.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

The way I read your post is that the cubes are being properly ejected from the ice tray but that they freeze together in the bin. I have this on my Sear's side-by-side but don't consider it to be a particular problem. Cubes still eject well from the dispenser chute.

I think this is fairly normal when you don't use many ice cubes. Even at temperatures well below freezing, two blocks of ice in close contact will eventually weld together. I would expect the problem to be more severe if the freezer temperature is just below freezing than it would be at a lower temperature.

SJF

Reply to
SJF

Hi,

Call and have the refrigerator looked at, don't get too deep into the refrigerator and void your warranty.

Wide temp swings from cold control, high spikes in defrost cycle temp, over filling ( leaking ) with water, icemaker not level, water pressure too low and fill valve is not shutting off correctly are

-some- possible trouble makers.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

It the oxford disc says that then why does my spell check change it all the time??? My spell check must have missed it's message.

Reply to
LMB

I did the same only my ice make kept freezing and then I'd have to use a blow dryer to melt it. Messy business.

Reply to
LMB