HVAC question and saga (long)

You paid $90 for a Goodman inducer motor? Damn man....they saw you coming.

Reply to
CBHVAC

I said $90 for the blower motor, but coincidentally that's also what I paid for the Goodman inducer motor. That's what us home-moaners pay when we need parts. You could probably pick one up at the local supply house for $35 and sell it to me for $190, +$150 labor, +$85 service charge. And it's cold outside so I'd pay it.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

And broke it off in him.

Reply to
Al Moran

I had to tell one of those whiny homeowners that yesterday. Went on a no heat on a 20 yo heat pump about four days ago. Run cap to the compressor was bad. Tell ho that due to the age of the equipment I would recommend replacing the system. He says no, go ahead and replace run cap. I do, and tell him that although I don't have a crystal ball, something will break again, maybe sooner, maybe later. I offer him a 1 year maintenance contract which entitles him to 20% off any repairs. He declines. Yesterday I get a no heat call at the same place. This time the blower motor has died. Tell him again i recommend replacing the system but I'll do whatever he wants. he asks about price of new system and price of blower motor. I tell him and he starts whining about the money he spent for the run cap and the money he has just decided to spend for a new blower motor. This goes on for about five minutes and then I have to explain "overhead" to him. he starts whining again and I tell him that he should get some more estimates for the blower motor if he is not happy with the price. This shuts the idiot up. He buys new blower mototr and 1 year service plan. So now said genius has spent 99.00 for a run cap, 59.00 twice for service calls, 477.00 for a blower motor and 183.00 for a service contract. All of this for a 20 yo system. What a good investment! Not!

$477.00 for a blower motor plus $59.00 for the service call! No wonder your customers moan. You must have a hell of an overhead! I just installed a 1/3 HP blower motor for an old lady in her attic air handler. It cost her just under $250.00 labor and materials. No service agreement discount. I made a healthy profit, including doubling my cost of the motor. I like to make a profit, it keeps me in business. This is why I watch my costs, so I can keep my prices reasonable and still buy the tools and training I need to provide good service to my customers.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Actually, NO, thats NOT what I would do...but some would.

Reply to
CBHVAC

I think he pulled your chain. My inducer lost its seal in the unit and so it wouldn't fire. They found that the unit was fine and resealed it (new gasket) under the warranty. Out of curiosity, I asked how much it have cost (them, not me) if they had to replace it and the repairman replied that the inducer was $350. Ridiculous, but I also checked on the Internet and some are not cheap, but not $350.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Ummm...Goodman Inducer motor....about $20 without housing and wheel. Now..Carrier..they have a couple that you have to replace the board with, and just the boards over $70

Reply to
CBHVAC

I don't make the prices, the owner does. We use level pricing. Blower motor is a level four which is 477.00. Our pricing guide is different depending on the region you are in. Level 4 for the east coast is less, but I don't recall exactly how much. We are on the west coast where everything is expensive.

Reply to
Al Moran

Did that cheaper price include fuel for the truck, the techs wage, the lights at the shop... You f****ng homeowners think we should just give shit away, truly amazing.

Reply to
Al Moran

You are an idiot, a poor business man, and a thief if you sell service or product at many times the cost. Every business has costs, you sound like the hospital that gave explained the huge costs for analysis with a new medical machine because the capital cost of the machine needed to be recovered, indicating a recovery in about 10 years. Turned out that the capital cost plus all of the maintenance costs were recovered in the first year of operation.

Your fellow HVAC guy said the cost was only 20 or maybe $90 with a board. Charging $350 for such an item would be simple theft.

Doesn't matter what "you" (meaning me) homeowner think, you won't need to worry 'cause I'll fix or replace the part myself at a reasonable cost. If not, I'll simply replace the whole damn thing which will be probably be cheaper than having you replace a little itty bitty part. That won't affect you much tho, because most people couldn't find the furnace let alone change a fan. 'Course that's how lots of repair shops went broke. Shops charged $70 to replace a $10 part in 1O minutes and the whole thing only costs $90. Bye, bye repair shop.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

If I had something that costs $90 I would NOT call someone out to repair in the first place.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Actually, it happens all the time, and its called free market.

Ever buy a new car?

Ever seen what that new car REALLY cost?

Give ya a hint....$30,000 Dodge Ram Pickup...made in Mexico...no leather, no dually..just a basic 2500 series...what you think it cost start to finish to delevery to make? hint is, drop a figure...now you are down to 4 figures....but hey..you paid the extra 21 grand for it.

Reply to
CBHVAC

And if this car is so cheap to build in our free market, how come there are no equivalent cars built and sold for a lot less than that $30,000. In fact, how come the U.S. automakers don't just lower the price so much that they blow out the foreign car market?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Hummm...interesting question. Ahh...but there are. See....we bought a new 2500 03 B-Van...extended, and the sticker was $27,000 and some change. Total off the lot cash price? Under 16,500. Ok..so it helps the old man owns a dealership, and it helps I got it at whats called Green Sheet....but ya know, if you ask ANY tech that does PDI inspections on the Mexican made trucks, (the van wasnt) they can tell you that SOMETIMES, the shipping invoice is shoved under the seats, or left in a glovebox, and they are to destroy it right off. Thats NOT what it cost the dealer, mind you, thats what it cost the company to build.

Hey,....if that was the case, I should be able to lower my prices on say.....2.5 ton, 12SEER (yes..i have tons left) Affinity units to under $2700 installed with an air handler.....wow.... (sarcasm here) I did...and i got called a hack, a fool, and have the competition calling me every name in the book...

Ask yourself this.....

If Mercedes say...suddenly started to offer a $10,000 500 series....would you buy it? I wouldnt.

Reply to
CBHVAC

Thanks for proving you have no clue how things work.

Reply to
Al Moran