HVAC energy tax credit

I'm in the process of replacing my packaged heat pump. Decided I would go up to the efficiency level that would get a tax credit.
The way I read the credit, you have to have an HSPH of 9, and EER of 13, and an SEER of 15 to qualify for the credit. I've been on a number of manufacturers web sites and have yet to find an HSPH of 9 on a packaged unit. Has the government specified a credit for something that doesn't exist?
Frank
Frank, Around here there are no tax credits. maybe your local gov. has one.
Stretch

Not sure where around here is but this is a U. S. Federal tax credit. You can buy an air conditioner and get a credit easily but if you buy a heat pump it doesn't matter how high the SEER is you can't find a packaged unit that meets the requirement for HSPH The fed. Gov. has struck again with a credit that no one can take.
Frank, I'm in USA. I was mis-informed. I am sorry. I stand corrected :-)
Stretch
says...

Looks like it. I can't find a water heater that even comes remotely close to the specified efficiency. Here is a chart:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits#2
Dennis

Doesn't this heat pump meet it? http://www.residential.carrier.com/res/details/0,1992,CLI1_DIV109_ETI8466_MID3812,00.html

Yes, it does, however it is for a split unit. I'm replacing a packaged unit and to do what is necessary to change the ducting and provide a place for the evap/blower, high pressure lines and plenum inside is out of the question. With a packaged unit all the components are outside in one case. All Manufacturers make packaged units but I've found none that meet the standard for the credit.
Thanks anyway,
Frank
Google "13 seer package unit"......

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:06:14 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
13 Seer is the new standard for energy star rating, but it takes 15 Seer to get the tax credit. I have googled 15 Seer package heat pump. None that both exceed 15 Seer and 9 HSPH.
Also the Department of Energy that set the standard have not been able to lead me to a unit that qualifies. I got an email back from a PHd in the department with no help. Indicates that maybe in the future....Hey, I'm ready to buy now.

Hmmmmm.....
If I'm not mistaken, before they raised the SEER requirements, you couldn't get anything over a 10 SEER.
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

Trane has made a 16 SEER packaged heat pump line for years with 2 compressors. They also had 2 model lines of packaged heat pump at 12 SEER. Lennox had 2 model lines of 12 SEER packaged heat pump. Carrier had at least 1 model line of 12 SEER packaged heat pumps.
Stretch

Are those commercial or residential?
Not questioning the fact that there ARE some out there. I'll admit I don't deal with them that much since I got out of commercial work....
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:59:49 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"

Residential. That (the Trane 16XL) is the one I was planning to buy. I just assumed that it would qualify for the tax credit. But no, because it does not have an HSPH of 9. Now get this. If I was just going to buy the packaged air conditioner and not a heat pump, a 14 SEER qualifies. In that category, they have two standards, one for split and one for packaged. Whoever wrote those standards did a terrible job if the intent was to incentify homeowners to buy the most efficient unit possible. If I converted to a split there are quite a few that meet the standard up to 4 tons but none in 5 tons. And I have an existing packaged unit so the conversion would be quite expensive with regard to preparing a spot for the evap/airhandler and modifying the supply/return plenums.
There are lots of residential packaged heat pumps out there in the 12 through 16 SEER ratings but none with an HSPH over 8.2
I've been trading emails with one of the people at the DOE that helped to write the standards. He can't find one that qualifies. He claims that the volume is much lower on the packaged residential units so manufacturers have not caught up with them. My position is that if you are willing to buy a 16 SEER unit you should get the credit regardless of the HSPH rating, particularly in the deep south where the SEER rating is most important.
Makes me mad every time I pay my taxes.
Put in a Geothermal unit & I bet you will 'qualify'.
Marty

The problem is packaged units are sold to the commercial market. They are never as efficient as the ones sold to the residential market. And isn't the tax credit for individuals only?
Sorry Frank, it looks like 13 SEER is all we have for packaged heat pump units by Lennox.
http://www.hvac-direct.com/products.asp?cat &
John