hung ceiling tile problem

I'm installing a hung ceiling using the 1x1 armstrong tiles. I tried to put 4 tiles to a grid -surrounded by cross tee's but they're sagging in and the ends of the tiles set into the cross bars are not laying flat.

Should I only be doing 2 to a grid? What is the common installation. It's incredible how little information there is on this subject other than how to layout the grid.

Or is there's any good web links that describe solving problems.

Barry Feldman

--

Reply to
Wild Bill Mehlhorn

I'm going to hazard a guess that the 1x1 tiles you're referring to are actually Loctite tiles. If they have a spline on two sides and a groove on the other two, this is the case.

If so, these tiles are Not designed to be installed in a grid. They're intended to be glued or stapled to (usually) furring strips installed in a 1x1 grid (they are then completely covered by the tiles.

Reply to
Mark

You're right! I was on hold with Armstrong when I opened your answer. I asked a million questions and of course got no answers at Home Depot and Lowes and even a couple of other smaller places.

DOH! I only did one small section so the biggest problem is that i'm out about 40 bucks on two boxes of tiles.

Thanks for your help

Barry Feldman

Reply to
Wild Bill Mehlhorn