how wide the snow path

If I had a community sidewalk, I would probably try to clear the whole thing, and some salt. Most of travel at my house is through the driveway. Unless I expect a lot of company, I do the least possible. If my two leaf blowers don't do it, I just sparsely push the snow around, with a little salt.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

We generally don't get mor than 4-6 inches anymore, but got 17 inches 4 years ago. that required some work. My cavalier was in my front lawn. I had to clear about 6 feet in back of it, to get on the street. Probably 25 inches at the curb.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Very true. I once was waiting at a red light, when I spotted a person all bundled up in a motorized wheelchair. They were stuck on the sidewalk where someone hadn't shoveled. I pulled off the road, told them to floor it. As they did, they slipped down a hill and did a roll over! I got the heck out of there.

Reply to
Jimbo

Good to know.

I guess this started when I was 10 and we moved to a new house, or at least when I first started shoveling the driveway, 10, 11, 12?

The driveway to the garage was over 100 feet long, and there was no chance I could shovel the whole thing at age 10 or 12, so I shoveled just two tracks wide enough for the tires. My mother was a good backer-upper and she could back 100 feet while staying in the shoveled part most of the time. Or she used the "turnaround", a little extra part where one could park one or two cars, or turn around, so she could drive out in forward, where the tracks were even easier to follow. Since then I lived in apartments with no shoveling involved until I got this house,

Reply to
micky

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 19:52:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You guys are all pretty much right!!

" 18-3-107. REMOVAL OF SNOW AND ICE. (a) Required. Within 24 hours after the fall of any snow, each person or public institution occupying or using a residential, commercial, or industrial building in any manner or for any purpose shall remove and clear away, or cause to be removed and cleared away, the snow from the foot pavements fronting the respective houses, stores, shops, stables, houses of worship, lots occupied by any buildings, unoccupied buildings, and unoccupied lots that run along streets in the county.

===> It doesn't explicitly say "all of the sidewalk" so what a lawyer would do is argue that a person in my shoes was "substantially compliant". That works sometimes, here it would probably be easier to pay their charge for shoveling.

By "fronting" I think they mean the sidewalk parallel to the street. I actually own only about 3 feet of that just outside my fence, but farther away from the fence, I have about 15 feet. This is in front of the land my next-door neighbor says he owns, yet he doesn't always shovel it when he shovels the sidewalk in front of his house. Yesterday I was out by 10AM. No one was there but the 15 feet were already shoveled, likely by a different neighbor.. I looked at 9 and no one was outside. AT 8 I thought it was too cold to shovel.

It doesn't seem like there is any rule for the sidewalk to my door.

Thanks everyone. ====<

(b) Manner of removal. In removing or clearing the snow, the person may not: (1) Obstruct the passage of water in gutters along the street; or (2) Throw the snow on the paved portion of the street. (c) County may remove. If the person required to remove and clear snow under this section does not remove and clear the snow, the county may do so at the expense of the person. (d) Expense a lien. (1) If the person does not pay the expense incurred by the county for snow removal under this section, the expense shall be a lien on the property in the same manner as taxes, and shall be collected in the same manner provided by law for the collection of taxes. (2) Charges and assessments imposed under this subsection are benefit charges and may not exceed a reasonable estimate of the special benefit conferred on the property. (e) Removal of ice. The person required to remove and clear snow also shall keep ice and every type of obstruction out of the gutters leading to and off the pavements or sidewalks located in front or at the rear or sides of the same buildings. (f) Penalty. In addition to the other remedies provided in this section, a person who fails to comply with this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a fine of $25 for each failure and an additional $25 for each day the obstruction continues. (1988 Code, § 31-8) (Bill No. 3, 1990, § 2; Bill No. 66-01, § 2,

7-1-2004)"
Reply to
micky

That is all there so the city doesn't get sued! Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

We live a little outside town, and the only sidewalks are between our driveway and our door. I shovel the whole width, while my husband works the 100-foot driveway with the snow blower. (I also shovel the patio and the deck, so that we can get to the grill and hot tub, respectively.) If the snow is really deep, he does the sidewalks and patio with the snow blower.

I pretty much ignore other people's snow removal unless I visit them. Then I'd prefer somewhat more than 18".

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

...snip...

...snip...

No, it doesn't say "all of the sidewalk", it says "clear away...the snow from the foot pavements".

It also doesn't say "clear away the snow from 50% of the foot pavements" or "clear away enough snow from the foot pavements to make a walkway at least wide enough for one person to walk through", it says "clear away...the snow from the foot pavements."

Seems pretty straight forward to me...they want it cleared away from the entire foot pavement.

However, here's what I find interesting with the section of code you posted...

It specifically addresses what you are supposed to do "within 24 hours after the fall of any snow." Note the words "fall of any snow".

Ok, so the snow falls from 1AM to 6AM. At 7AM you clear the snow from the foot pavement. At 8AM the plow comes by and pushes a ton of snow from the road onto the foot pavement. Since it wasn't put there by "any fall of snow" it appears that you do not have to clear it. Well, at least not until the next "fall of any snow" at which time you would have to clear both the new snow and the plowed snow.

Maybe there is a different section of code that addresses the snow that plow put back on the foot pavement.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Right, so the homeowner does; the city did their part.

Reply to
krw

Don't have the original posting and don't know if the ordinance mentions it but does the ordinance give the homeowner immunity from liability for complying with the ordinance and removing the snow, etc.?

It's pretty well settled in the law, I am told, that if you do NOT shovel your sidewalk and a passerby slips and falls it's on him, not you. However, if you go out, shovel the snow and there's a freeze thaw cycle that creates ice (black or otherwise) and you do nothing to remediate it, and the next goof walks by and breaks his leg... guess what? You could be held liable. Another variant, I guess, of don't mess with Mother Nature.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I've always thought that way - if there is snow on the walk, the pedestrian knows what they are getting into and it's up to them whether to walk there or not. Not talking about in commercial areas etc, but in my neighborhood where there really aren't pedestrians other than the mailman and the occasional dog walker. It snowed here the night before last, and I shoveled my driveway and not the sidewalk. The driveway still had a thin refreezing slush on it, that hindered my walking on it. I actually found it safer to walk in the snowy areas. This was for 2-3 inches of snow; obviously wouldn't work for a foot but we don't usually (knock on wood) get that much.

Reply to
Lee B