How to wind a trimmer wire to stop it knotting up?

Any tips here? I have a Honda trimmer, I did read the instructions carefully and try to wind the trimmer cable tight and hold it while I insert it into the head. But it does bind up occassionally. Can I spray oil onto the cable to lubricate it?

Thanks!

Dean

Reply to
dean

This seems to help when I re-wind my trimer spool, don't put as much on as they recomend, and re-wind the new string in the direction it comes off the replacement spool on to your trimer spool. I am twisting the replacment string as I wind it onto the trimer spool, seems to work better and not jam up.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Tom - are you saying you wind it on in the opposite way that it naturally curves?

Reply to
dean

Are you saying it stays wet and thus comes out more easily as you use it?

Reply to
dean

I wet the string for a minute before winding, it seems to work much better

Reply to
Nick Hull

Ok I will try that. Thanks for the tip.

Dean

Reply to
dean

Ok I will try that. Thanks for the tip.

Dean

Reply to
dean

No, it's not that wet. Just wet enough when you wind it to make it wind flatter and it seems to 'weld' together less. I might wind it damp today and not use it for a week, it's surely dry by then but still works better.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Dean,

I've tried oil on the cable and it helps, but not as much as I had hoped. I've considered hitting it with some spray from a can of white lithium grease. It can't hurt and I'll be trying that the next time that I have to reload the reel. I'm desperate enough to try axle grease if necessary.

Just remember that there is always the risk of getting some oil or grease sprayed onto nearby objects, including your shoes, pants or legs. There is also a very small risk that the oil or grease will attack the plastic housing or the string.

Good luck, Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

If you can wind it on your trimer spool the way it comes off the bulk spool it won't tangle up,or at least it hasn't for me. Before I started doing it this way , I would have to stop and pull out line all the time. I know htis is hard to explain, the easiet way to see what I mean is to visit a bait and tackle shop that re-winds bait casting reels, to see how the line comes off the bulk spool onto the reel.

Try and do a google search on how to rewind line on a bait casting fishing reel, maybe they have some pictures.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa