how to take off vinyl floor

Hi, I've starting ripping off my 35 year old linoleum floor and there is disgusting black glue at the back. I don't know how to get that stuff off the floor. Has anyone successfully taken it off and what's the best way to do it. thanks :)

Reply to
saleha.aziz

It's nearly impossible. Why would you want to take it off ?

Reply to
roger61611

Your linoelum floor may actually be vinyl/asbestos. If you are not sure, you need to find out. Ripping up asbestos in a house without knowing what you are doing is bad news for your lungs.

Reply to
Art

I peeled up as much of old vinyl as I could. Then I bought the "instant cancer & brain damage" stuff from the Depot in the paint thinner aisle. The can was gold colored and was 1 gallon IIRC. It goes on like grape jelly. Let it soak a bit then get on your knees and scrape. It goes quicker the longer the stuff sits.

If your floor is over wood, put down 1/8" wood on top, don't bother stripping old.

Warning: Shut off pilot lights (including water heater) gas fireplace and stove/oven. Put a fan in the window blowing out. Get a chemical air filter with mask. These fumes are not as potent as I thought, but....

Would I repeat? yes, I did already. It eats up kneepads. I think I used paint thinner or similar to neutralize the acidic effect of stripper. Read the can. If you glue down new floor to the stripper itself, you WILL have air pockets. DAMHIKT.

Good luck, Tom

Reply to
Tom

I agree with Tom. If you are installing new vinyl then the best practice is to install thin plywood over the existing floor as a substrate for the vinyl. This should allow you to almost entirely avoid removing the old glue. You might use a sharp chisel or scraper to remove the big globs. It will also allow the easy eventual removal of the vinyl since it will be glued to this plywood and not the floor itself.

Reply to
Lawrence