I peeled up as much of old vinyl as I could. Then I bought the "instant
cancer & brain damage" stuff from the Depot in the paint thinner aisle.
The can was gold colored and was 1 gallon IIRC. It goes on like grape
jelly. Let it soak a bit then get on your knees and scrape. It goes
quicker the longer the stuff sits.
If your floor is over wood, put down 1/8" wood on top, don't bother
Warning: Shut off pilot lights (including water heater) gas fireplace
and stove/oven. Put a fan in the window blowing out. Get a chemical air
filter with mask. These fumes are not as potent as I thought, but....
Would I repeat? yes, I did already. It eats up kneepads. I think I
used paint thinner or similar to neutralize the acidic effect of
stripper. Read the can. If you glue down new floor to the stripper
itself, you WILL have air pockets. DAMHIKT.
Good luck, Tom