how to save your mobil home in a hurricane

for mobile homes or rv trailers

1.screw together 2 pieces of wood 2 X 4s and run it from the upper ceiling/wall joint to the opposite floor/wall joint inside the unit. Do this the whole length of the mobil home (or rv trailer)every 6 feet. Then do the same from the other ceiling/wall joint to the other floor/wall joint. (The inside will have the 2x4s in an "X" pattern)You will maintain the structural integrity of the unit.
  1. Put about 5-7 anchors into the ground, at equal distances, along the length of the unit- and then secure LONG HEAVY STRAPS OR ROPE-to each anchor. Run the straps or rope OVER the unit and tightly secure the other ends to similar anchors. (the anchors should preferably be very large SCREW-IN anchors that go into the ground 3 feet. They look just like the small ones you can buy at a pet store for anchoring a dog rope). You could even use those smaller pet anchor if you use a few more of them on each side and the ground isn't too sandy.

The above proceedure will certainly give you a great fighting chance for your unit not to blow over.

Of course you should protect the windows with plywood. Your unit will also survive much better if you can convince your neighbors to do the same so there will be less debris flying around. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
misterfact

"misterfact" wrote

F*ck that!

Get that old Chevy truck down off of the cinder blocks, hook yer trailer up to it and TOW IT TO ARIZONA!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Yep, Signode sells steel strapping for that exact purpose. Thick, heavy, steel like they use for strapping steel coils. I don't know who makes the end product, but it exists.

Reply to
John Hines

I lived in Arizona back in 1996 and my 80 foot trailer home had the straps built in. The straps were under the siding and roof shingles and came out the bottom along the bottom edge. We never had a hurricane in AZ but some thunderstorms had high winds. Funny thing was about the code, it was legal to not use straps at all, but if you did use them, they had to meet the code and be inspected, and you had to use at least six anchors. Gave the inspector something to do. I'd guess that most modern trailer homes would have the straps built in. Mine was a Clayton which is bottom of the line budget so a good trailer home probably has them.

Bob

Reply to
rck