How to physically secure a cell phone?

I help run a homeowners' association and our clubhouse needs a phone as part of its insurance requirements (for calling 911 etc). Landline was costing $33/month and so we're considering ways to switch to a cheap pre-paid cell phone service. Or even no formal service and just rely on the cell phone's ability to reach 911 services.

The problem is: we can't figure out a way to physically secure any type of cell phone (even a cheap old/repurposed flip phone) to be tethered to the wall so that a kid can't just walk away with it. Yes, there's a security camera pointed at the wall, but we still need a physical deterrent that won't get in the way of emergency use. And, of course, it will need to be perpetually plugged into its charger, but there's an outlet nearby so that's not a problem.

Any/all ideas appreciated.

Thank you. Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

Have you considered Vonage? You could have service for $15. I have no financial interest in Vonage.

Ken

I thought of similar, eg Ooma that's VOIP for just $5 a month, but I bet they don't have cable internet service at the club house either. But I see a bigger issue, which is this is a bad idea. $33 a month is ~$400 a year. Since it's a community with a clubhouse, let's assume it's 40 units. Each unit owner's cost for the existing landline would be be $10 a year. What's the cost going to be in terms of insurance rates raised, time lost in endless meetings, litigation, finger pointing in the community, if someone needs

911 and for whatever reason, the cell phone doesn't work, has been stolen, etc?
Reply to
trader_4

Perhaps securing the phone to an upright heavy duty pedestal, attach an external speaker from the phone to the pedestal, secure a cover over the phone with a clear plastic housing with an open slot to dial 911 only. Or something along that line.

Reply to
Hawk

Easy enough. I have two good ideas.

1) Drill a hole in the cell phone, 1/4" is big enough to put a ring through it. The bottom left corner usually has nothing important so drill there.

2) If you don't have a desk get one. Run an extension cord from an outlet, under the desk, up behind t he drawers and into one of the drawers. Plug in the charger and the phone, cover the phone but not the charger with a couple papers or plan to lock the drawer, shut the drawer Do this when no one is there and don't tell any of the delinquents you have it.

Reply to
micky

We actually have wifi there. But I shy away from VOIP because a power or internet outage (happens from time to time) means no service. That's why it was an old-fashioned landline, which usually works during a power outage. And that's why we are thinking for cellular service because it would probably still work during local internet or power outage. And it NEEDS to be easily accessible. Can't be locked away or hidden... because it's meant to be seen/found/used during an emergency.

Reply to
anthonymmfalcone

We actually have wifi there. But I shy away from VOIP because a power or internet outage (happens from time to time) means no service. That's why it was an old-fashioned landline, which usually works during a power outage. And that's why we are thinking for cellular service because it would probably still work during local internet or power outage. And it NEEDS to be easily accessible so can't be locked away or hidden... because it's meant to be seen/found/used during an emergency.

Reply to
millinghill

Unless the cell towers go out. Sometimes they do. There is no good way to secure a portable phone. Who is going to assure it is charged? Pay for the damned landline and do it right. Going cheap can be very costly.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Call the phone company and see if they can put in a pay phone.

Reply to
Dogma

Not a bad idea.

But a compromise idea, a wall cell phone. Steel case, inside its screwed to a stud, maybe a seat to sit on, maybe a booth for quiet.

Contact me. I know where to get funding but we need manufacturing and marketing too. We'll get rich.

Reply to
micky

Another option that comes to mind is to use a cheap cell phone without service. Secure with a lanyard of sort or secure to the pedestal idea. You do not need service for ANY cell phone to call 911. Cell phones are regulated by the FCC. FCC requirements state that ALL cell phones, regardless of status of service (or even the lack of service) must be able to dial 911.

Using a cheap phone will work and reduce the chance of anyone wanting it but if stolen, who cares, get another.

Reply to
Hawk

No chance of that, you watch.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Where was the last pay phone you saw? The 80s called and they want you back.

Reply to
trader_4

Is there a phone that can be super glued to its charger? Then use something like this to keep the charger in place.

Try a search using some of the synonyms for anchor.
That might help in a following search for what you're after. Hawk's suggestion of using a cheap phone makes sense as long as it isn't close to obsolescence.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Have you seen these:

Anonymous

Pay phone is a no-go. The State Department of Health obligates emergency phone on site to be a free phone with a listing of emergency numbers. I checked.

Reply to
millinghill

Another thought: maybe those security tethers that they use at the electronics stores? The kind they glue to the cell phone on display so you can try it out, but can't walk away with it?

Reply to
millinghill

hows about an easy-break plastic box, like the ones often used to cover fire alarms? The old "in case of fire, break glass" type?

Reply to
danny burstein

Problem is that those who want to steal the phone will just break that when alone.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Damn intellectual property pirates, I was going to get rich.

Reply to
micky