How to paint a new heat register/vent

We had a new heat register/vent installed as part of a remodel. It is white (painted) and I'd like to paint it to match the wall color. Do I need to prepare it in any way (sand, prime, etc) to take the latex wall paint? Georgia

Reply to
ggkent.8

Just clean it and paint. If it has wax or oil on it make sure you get that off.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Done it many times. They used to come with a dipped primer surface for painting over, but now most are powder coated which is so smooth and glossy that they won't take paint. No matter what, go over all of it with some 120 or 180 sandpaper to scratch the surface, it is tedious to sand the louvers, but that is what you need to do, do all of the visible surface. Once this part is done, take a 1" brush and gently dab, daub and brush the paint onto the grill, remember to do the edges and insides as they will show when installed. It will take at least 2 coats depending on your painting skill and how good you sanded it. Don't use too much paint on a coat as it will create drips all over the other side.

I would not use latex wall paint, as it is not intended for use on metal, it will actually cause any bare metal spots (from sanding) to immediately rust and discolour the paint. Use semi-gloss oil paint mixed to match your wall or other background colour. They will look great if done properly.

Reply to
EXT

You _could_ take the time to sand it - degloss it- prime it, and or have it powder coated as others have mentioned.

Or you could just paint it. It is, after all just a vent.

Reply to
Hugh Glass

I usually wipe them off with a little lacquer thinner or mineral spirits then give them a fast coat of BIN or Cover Stain spray primer, whichever is closest at hand in the truck. That will give you a better surface for the finish coat.

Reply to
NickySantoro