How to manually cycle ice maker??

I have a Kenmore 25' side x side about 11 years old, model no. 106.9535710 I think. Had the water valve replaced

6/91 and at that time the Tech mentioned something about the need to cycle the ice maker a couple of times after installing the new valve.He showed me how to manually cycle the ice maker, I believe it had something to do with the bail. Now bear in mind I have oldtimers (can't remember what I had for breakfast) and what I have stated here is based on that faulty memory.

My question; can someone tell me hoe to manually cycle this ice maker?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob/Shelia

This is Turtle.

Awwwwwwww Bob , Maunally rolling the ice maker is a bad habit to try and do for you have on most ice makers plastic gears and you can strip one if you try to turn just a little too fast. I can tell you how to roll any of the ice makers but the ice makers company will tell you that you can mess them up by doing this.

What do you want to roll the ice maker for anyway ?

OK I will guess here. You bought a new ice maker or new water valve and replaced it and need to get the cups to fill in a hurry. Bob, If you will just put the bail wire down and go to bed tonite and when you wake up it will have rolled atleast 5 times and the cups will be full and making ice without your help. Now if you can't wait till the morning. Post back here and I will try to figure out what type you have and tell you how to either screw it up or get it to roll for you before you go to bed.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

106.9535710 I

Your guess is probably what I should have done and will ultimately have to do but what happend was; yesterday about noon I was getting some ice and noticed that the dispenser wasn't putting out much ice, so I opened the door to have a look. The ice bin was only half full and it was all frozen into one chunk. This has happened before and I thought all I needed to do was remove the chunk and clean it out but during the process the bail somehow came off, no problem I just put it back. I left it in the on position last night but no ice this morning and I don't believe there is any water in the tray. That is why I wanted to cycle it last night so I could verify that it was getting water?

Thanks

Reply to
Bob/Shelia

This is Turtle.

I can't see it from here but here is a pretty good guess as to the big clump of ice that forms in the bins. When a ice maker hangs up in heat mode to get the ice to let go of the cups in the ice maker for the forks to sweep the ice out of the cups. It will turn on and let the 750 watt heating element to stay on too long and just melt the ice somewhat in the bin. Yes I said 750 watt heat element.

Now rolling it may help this condition but only if the forks or finger in the ice maker are down in the cups. if the fingers or forks are up out of the cups at a 45º angle like they are suppose to be. Your waisting your time by rolling it.

Bob , i hate to say this but your going to get up off your bilfold and get you a new ice maker kit to replace the thing out with. The complete kits with new ice maker, tubes up the back, new valve for the back where the water comes in, New free standing bin to put ice in, and everything you need to replace the ice maker with and runs about $108.00 to $160.00 and sears has them at their sear's service centers.

Now one thing that will or may not match is the water valve in the back that lets the water into the ice maker. If you have ice and water in the door. It will be a duel type water valve and will not come with the kit. You will have to buy it seperate from the kit and you can get it too from Sears service center. I don't know the price but should run about $25.00 to $35.00 at most.

Now one thing off the wall to look at is if a refrigerator temperature in the freezer part ever goes above +12ºF the ice maker will not work at all and just not do nothing just like yours is doing here. Check to see you have below +12ºF in your freezer compartment. If not you can have something wrong with your refrigerator not getting down to 0ºF like it should be. Just something to look at.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE