How to install fence over a step-up in perimeter wall?

Hi, I'm planning to install vinyl fence in my backyard. Something like this type:

I've already installed metal posts at 8ft on center, embedded into my concrete wall. I will slip a vinyl post over each post, trim height of metal post as needed, and probably fill the annular space with concrete. But, at one panel, I will need to step up because the concrete wall steps up. Photo shows it here:

How do people usually deal with this? Is there a way to modify the fence panel? Maybe install an ADDITIONAL lower horizontal rail, and raise this rail up while trimming the bottom of the vertical slats, all to accommodate the step-up ?

Advice appreciated. Thanks! Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

That would probably look best. Maybe add another rail at the top at an angle from one level to the next? Form a triangle? Make it unique. A circle, octagon or something else added to the bottom fence at the junction?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Hmm, I can't add a new post at this point anymore. Concrete wall is solid/filled.

Is there any way to add a new horizontal support? Something like this:

that the middle support would hold the bottom (because the bottom would not be attached on the left at the step-up).

Reply to
millinghill

That looks like it could work, IF the vertical slats can be pulled loose of the horizontal beams so the one beam can be moved up, and the short beam added.

Re the loose left lower beam end, maybe anchor-bolt a piece of 1x4 to the end of the concrete block, and screw a Slidelock bracket to it.

Reply to
Anonymous

I think I came up with a reasonably easy solution per this sketch:

I would add a surface-mounted at the lower level of the step, and this section of panel will be only 4ft+/- on either side instead of the 8ft panels.

The alternative of modifying each panel would be somewhat time-consuming and might not end up looking nice.

Thanks to all for the detailed advice and suggestions. Please keep alt.home.repair positive, polite, and helpful.

Reply to
millinghill

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote

Yep, that’s the best way.

Yep, it would look worse IMO.

The other approach of extending the top layer of blocks right along would work too but would be a lot more work.

Reply to
Rod Speed