How to cut hardwood floor into door openings

Installing tongue & groove parquet flooring into small room with many doors. What's the best way to make cuts to fit around door jambs, etc?

Thanks.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Oneguy

You don't cut the floor dimwit you cut the bottom of the door jamb and slide the floor under.

Everything you need to know can be found in the Google archives. Do a little searching brainless.

Reply to
Ajays HomeRepair

Not supporting the attack/flame reply, but jeez -- are you implying that you can't take 20 minutes to research your question and instead have to ask it directly here -- wasting all of our time?

If you have a unique question, or a special situation, or have searched and simply can't find the answer, we're all here to help. If you simply "don't have the time" than we don't either.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I'm a loyal reader of this group and sometimes I contribute to it as well, and I resent the writer assuming he is speaking for me; he's not. And I am truly offended by the asshole who attacked the person who asked a legitimate question courteously. If he thought it was wasting his valuable time, he should not have added to his burden by answering it.

I hope people who agree with me will say so, so the unelected leaders among us will go somewhere else and let the rest of us stumble along.

n article , snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com says...

Reply to
Lawrence Rottersman

I forgot. You do put the floor under the door jamb. Pros use a tool actually designed to do just that, but they are expensive for a sometimes user and probably not available to rent. There is a handsaw, very sharp with a flexible blade that costs under $5, is widely available (Home Depot, etc.) and does a very good job indeed. I recently installed over 2000sf of tongue and groove hardwood and had no problem using it. (You can also use a multitool (mine is Fein) which will also do the job. If you use the handsaw, you use a stick of the wood you're installing as a guide, resting the saw on top of it so you can get a straight cut.

Reply to
Lawrence Rottersman

"Wasting all of your time??" Geez Tim, if your time is that valuable, why respond to the thread?

Re-read my post. I never implied I did not have time to research. However, one would think a group named home.repair would be a good place to ask such a question as mine. It's not like I asked how to build a home.

I certainly don't mind doing research on anything. But it really was a simple question, and a simple answer was all that was necessary. Imgine how easy it would have been for the other fellow to answer as he did, and simply leave off the "brainless" insult and the admmonishment.

FYI, I have asked *many* questions of many groups over the years, and I don't recall ever having anyone (much less two people) take me to task for bothering them with a general inquiry. Sure, I could have gone to Google for research, but it just didn't occur to me. I could have gone to Home Depot or a local lumber yard as well, but I came here for simple help.

In the future, I'll be sure to research everyhing very thoroughly and learn all I can before bothering anyone here with stupid questions.

Respond if you like, but I wouldn't want to waste any more of your time.

O.G.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Oneguy

Agreed -- it was the quote above that provoked my reponse.

As I said earlier, I did not support the flame or attack.

I certainly did not "take you to task" for asking a question. I *did* "take you to task" for implying you don't have time to do any preliminary research.

Again, it wasn't the original question that bothered me, it was your response to the attacker.

Shake and make up?

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Delurking briefly to signify agreement.

Isn't the original flamer that wonderful human being who posts nonsense under 'n" different identities, and steals other people's IDs?

Downside of the 'Net is that it's a refuge for immature types who would never dare to say to a person's face what they fearlessly fling out into the electronic void.

This is one of the better NGs on the 'Net. 99-44/100% of the contributors are decent, helpful folks -- including professionals who generously share their know-how.

Disregard the punks. Don't dignify them with responses.

Reply to
Delurking

Please don't lump me and the flamer together. I was not agreeing with, nor defending the original flame. But the fact that the OP basically replied by saying he didn't have enough time to do any research at all, that it was "just easier" to ask here, had the wrong attitude as well.

Thanks,

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Thanks to all who took time to read and respond, both to the actual flooring question and the flame thread. And thank you Tim, for the extra info about how to do the job.

I, too, have always found this group to be a great resource. In fact, many groups are populated by helpful, knowledgeable individuals all too happy to help the novice. If you ever have need to visit rec.audio.pro, you'll find me quick to respond to the simplest or most complex of questions. With wood matters and general home stuff, I'm much less confident.

Anyway, thanks to all... and yes, I'm shaking hands with all amd making up.

O.G.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Oneguy

Ignore the troll watabes. This is a place to ask questions. The answer is right however. I might add that you should consider getting a book on the subject at the home improvement store or library. There are likely to have some other problems come up that you did not expect or notice and might miss.

I hope your product when it comes includes a good set of instructions, but you can't count on it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Actually, Tim, I wasn't going after you, although I did take exception to your pluralizing yourself, us of the group and them. One thing that always comes up is the impatience with people who don't first do their homework, don't Google, etc., and I mean every ng I ever lurked for at least two days.

You know, if I had to research everything that came up in my life, from lovelife, computers, electric canopeners, etc., my life would be a misery, and I would have plenty of company. What's so wrong with looking for a quick answer to a quick question that would otherwise take an afternoon? This, however, is not to say the same in our professional lives, that's where I would cross over to the critics.

Reply to
Lawrence Rottersman

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

get a power undersaw just rent it. I used a hand undercut saw for my house and it was a pita. well worth the rental. To save time after you get old flooring out grab a piece of your flooring + underlayment, glue, or however you're attaching it, place it at the bottom of the jambs and mark where you want to cut.

the wood floor manufacturer sites have diy instructions, pretty easy to find.

Reply to
shawn

I agree with your post.

Google can be confusing with the threads. I look at this group as a bunch of us sitting around bouncing things off each other. Some offer expert opinions, some offer practical advice, some offer informed opinions, some think they know, and then there is the A-hole. I do ignore people who ask a question that has been answered in the last few days.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt