How quickly does a rat die in a typical rat trap

On 03 Jun 2012, "JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com" wrote in alt.home.repair:

Do 4 D-cell batteries really generate enough zap to kill a rat?!?

Reply to
Nil

2 c's will kill about a dozen mice was my experience with one many years ago-- Victor says their 4aa model will kill 100 mice per set-- 4 d's ought to kill a few rats.

there is a capacitor in there someplace.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

And an inductor (or two), I'm sure.

Reply to
krw

I think Tasers use one nine volt, and have enough power to stun a human.

.

Do 4 D-cell batteries really generate enough zap to kill a rat?!?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And, transformer, maybe?

.

2 c's will kill about a dozen mice was my experience with one many years ago-- Victor says their 4aa model will kill 100 mice per set-- 4 d's ought to kill a few rats.

there is a capacitor in there someplace.

Jim

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The first couple are cute and fuzzy. After the chewing damage, and a few human illness, they are viewed as flea ridden pestilance.

.

why does it matter? and why would anyone hate to kill them?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for sharing the real world experience.

That sounds like something I'm glad I didn't have to live through.

.

I found a good way to overcome any worry about putting rodents to death about four years ago. My wife and I took off early one morning for what was to be a 200 mile trip in her car. I turned on the defroster blower and it sounded like it was coming out from under the dash. Took the car home and traded vehicles. When we got home a couple of days later I climbed into the car to check the blower and almost puked. When the blower came on it filled the car with death- smell. I managed to keep my stomach together long enough to get the blower out and found out the nylon blower, the blower housing and the main plenum were full of hair, blood and tissue. It took three hours of cleaning and disinfecting to get most of the smell out. Then, as I looked around the lower, air intake near the front of the car I found it was chewed on, an engine wire harness had much of the insulation chewed off and several hoses showed signs of chewing. About $200 later I repaired the damage I could see.

I ended up buying some of the D-Con bars with the center bored out and wired them to the air intake and to one of the bundles that had been damaged most. As far as I'm concerned the little farts can die rather than spread the disease and destruction that they can.

RonB

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 03 Jun 2012, "Stormin Mormon" wrote in alt.home.repair:

Really?! I had no idea. I never really thought about it, but I guess I figured they had a more powerful rechargeable batter. Either that, or when I watch "Cops", that there was a hidden wire from the taser to an off-camera Frankenstein's-lab-like lightning catcher.

Reply to
Nil

On 03 Jun 2012, Jim Elbrecht wrote in alt.home.repair:

Huh! I don't think of 4 D-cells in a flashlight being deadly like that.

I wish the Rat Zapper people made a larger version I could use on squirrels.

Reply to
Nil

An alkaline D-cell is, what, 15Ah? Four of them (at 1.5V) is That's about

90Wh, not an inconsequential amount of power. Boost the voltage a bit and, trust me, it'll light you up.

Squirrels and rats are about the same size...

Reply to
krw

I think the rat zapper would kill squirrels just fine. Probably not an approved method for a critter who enjoys protection in most [all?] states, so the company can't advertise it.

Except for the fluffy tail, and the ability to climb trees to rob bird nests I don't see much difference.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

We get these critters at work... the traps usually take care of them within= 30 seconds. The odd time you'll find a trap that's moved a foot from where= it was set, the poor thing tried to haul off with the trap. No glue traps,= you're then faced with how to dispose of a pest that's still alive...

Michael Lalonde Sudbury, Ontario Jumler catering

Reply to
gourmetking015

seconds. The odd time you'll find a trap that's moved a foot from where it was set, the poor thing tried to haul off with the trap. No glue traps, you're then faced with how to dispose of a pest that's still alive...

I dunno about rats, but I snapped this photo of our long gone but fondly remembered cat, Darwin.

I'd set a Victor mouse trap to catch a mouse that Darwin didn't seem interested in, but when the mousetrap did its thing, Darwin dragged it and it's bounty into another room and was playing with it under a table. See:

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

I have had a nest of them living behind my bath tub that they reached throu gh a hole in the wall in my bedroom. I got 2 Victor classic traps, over a b illion sold and staked out the hole. one with banana somebody told and the other with dog treats. They never hit the banana but they loved the dog tre ats.By the end of the day today I had killed 5 female rats and one big male rat on the very last. All the smaller females died instantly with a crushe d neck it looks like. The big male was messy. He thrashed around for a few seconds and smeared blood all over the floor. But it was so worth it to get rid of his as$.

Reply to
Bill the rat killer

Wow, someone is heartless. Why would anyone feel sorry for a pedophile - a person that gets off on raping children? Which we had snap traps for those asshole.

Reply to
ellisbell30071818

Well I actually just heard one go off in my basement 20s when I got there the rat had moved the trap about 1-2 feet and was thrashing around but I don't believe he was still alive, smashed him with a brick to make sure he didn't run when I threw him in the trash, they can be adorable, so if they stop destroying my house is let it go

Reply to
ermiswilhelm

No reason to act like we care about rats. They have no good use in this world. Full of disease, scares my kids, and destroys lives and homes! Just saying, don’t feel bad, They don’t belong in this planet.

Reply to
dv83biz

rbowman

So there's hope for Chicago tourism!

Reply to
devnull

Not by this tourist; I've been there. Even in the early '70s the desk clerk at the hotel advised me to stay north of Roosevelt Road.

I'm reading a post-apocalyptic novel where in a scene set in Baton Rouge the protagonists are advised to avoid any street named after a president. That does for more cities than Baton Rouge.

Reply to
rbowman