How much does it cost to change 15amp circuit to 20 amp

I don't have my code book handy, but you sound sure.

Thanks

Reply to
Terry

I found this at Pass and Seymour's site that confirms what you say.

NEC , table 210.21 (B) (3) shows you can't install a 20 amp outlet on a 15

Reply to
Terry

You can access an online code book at :

RBM

Putting a 20 amp outlet on a 14 ga circuit that is protected by a

15 amp CB or fuse is NOT unsafe, and further, it is explicitly allowed by the NEC. The circuit will still be protected at the 15 amp level that is appropriate for 14 gauge wire.

OTOH, installing a 20 amp BREAKER in a 14 gauge circuit with a 15 amp _or_ 20 amp outlet WOULD be unsafe and a violation of code.

Reply to
lwasserm

I suggest somone plug this in, does it have a special 20 amp plug with the extra bar prong piece or whatever its called on it?

then check its actual current draw with a clamp on amp meter.

high current may only be at 30 MPH or something else unlikely in actual operation.

heck the 20 amp rating might be a massaged number by the manufacturer to make their unit worth its high price.

the 20 amps MIGHT be the current draw of the motor at 36 volts whereas the unit might peak at 12 amps at 120 volts.

measured current goes up as voltage goes down which is why cross country power lines are at thousands of volts

Reply to
hallerb

Thanks! I didn't know that existed; mine is getting kinda old.

Reply to
Toller

HUH!!? My brand new heat pump only has 3 wires. You only need the common if you're using 120v out of it also.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

NEC(2002) Table 210.21(B)(3) "Receptacle Ratings for Various Size Circuits" explicitly states that a 15 amp circuit must have a receptacle rating of "Not over 15 amps." Where in the NEC does it explicitly state that 20 amp receptacles are permited to be installed on 15 amp circuits?

Reply to
volts500

LOL. I wonder how many of those suicides result from dealing with the building department. Permit fees are more than 10% of the OP's low bid of $600......$68.85 = $56.65 for Admin fees, $10.80 for the circuit and $1.40 for the receptacle connect.

With approx. $70 for the permit and $50 for the materials, I guess about $500 for an hour of work ain't bad.

Reply to
volts500

What the OP needs to do is look at the ampere rating, not the HP rating of the motor. You are probably right about them using peak horsepower. My 5hp compressor works fine on 15 amps even on a 50 foot extension cord.

An actual 3.5 HP motor would require a 30 amp circuit.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Why wouldn't the 15 amp breaker protect against such overloads?

Reply to
CJT

What about that 210.21(B)(3) cite provided by the other poster?

The circuit will still be protected at the 15 amp level

Reply to
CJT

In article , Terry wrote: in on 15A circuits.

False. Source: National Electrical Code, Table 210.21(B)(3) states maximum receptacle on a 15A circuit is "not over 15A".

IF the breaker operates properly...

Please refrain from giving electrical safety advice. You're clearly unqualified to do so.

Reply to
Doug Miller

So what? Doesn't mean that 3-wire is not permitted, as you incorrectly claimed. 3-wire 240V is permitted where 4-wire is not required.

Reply to
Doug Miller

No, you can't. People do all kinds of stupid things all the time. "Reasonably sure" would come from seeing 12ga at *every* access point on the circuit, and even then, that doesn't equate to "certain." When I remodeled my kitchen two years ago, I removed a floor-to-ceiling cabinet to find a section of plaster removed, and two junction boxes inside the wall. People do all kinds of stupid things all the time.

Reply to
Doug Miller

False.

False again -- the fact is that it is explicitly *prohibited* by the NEC. See Table 210.21(B)(3).

IF the breaker operates properly...

Installing a 20A receptacle on any circuit with 14ga wire is unsafe and a violation of Code.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Any number of reasons: breaker is old, breaker is defective -- but the most likely hazard is a naive homeowner who becomes irritated by frequent breaker trips and sees 20A device, 20A plug, 20A receptacle, 15A breaker and decides to "fix" the problem by installing a 20A breaker without ever realizing that the wire won't support it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You don't live in snow country do you? Or maybe you just don't run. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Finding the keyboard operational Doug Miller entered:

I am used to contractors charging for their time if they get the permit but they doen't charge it the homeowner gets it. What worries me if I get my ow permit is that I do it wrong, I would be the responsible party. Bob

--

-- Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times

The Other Funk

Finding the keyboard operational Terry entered:

May be a dumb question but what would happen if he left the wire in the wall alone and changed the "plug" on the device to a 15 amp? If the breaker popped, the OP could change the plug back and worry about the 20 amp circuit. It would also be interesting to know if the treadmill has a mfrs plat the states it draws 20 amps. And wouldn't a device like this also have it's own fuse/cb? Bob

--