how long do electric water heater elements last?

When my first element failed, I thought I had to buy a replacement of the same brand AOSmith. Only one vender around here but right on the way to work Plumbing supply store. He told me how to do it. I probably paid more than at a hardware store, but well worth it for the added info.

The water stays pretty hot for a 2 -4 days if you don't use any. Of course the more you use, the cooler it gets.

Oh, yeah. I think I left out turnng the faucet off again. If left on, air would go in and water woudl come out of the WH. Turn it off.

This is especially valuable for plumbers, who don't want to spend an hour draining the tank and an hour filling it before they can turn it back on, either for free or trying to bill the customer for 2 more hours or more.

But it went very smoothly for me. Maybe 3 seconds with nothing in the hole, and another 5 seconds before I started screwing in the new element. Less than 3 tablespoons I think.

Reply to
micky

replying to micky, Sherry wrote: I replaced my elements less than 3 years ago, I have a water softener. My water heater is not working. Suggestions?

Reply to
Sherry

My experience with electric water heaters ended decades ago. Back then the elements lasted a long time, maybe ten years.

Reply to
trader_4

Check the circuit breaker yet?

Reply to
Sparky

I'm not sure what kind of water heater old boy is using but it is not a tank. Try pulling the lower element out of a 30 gallon or 60 gallon tank water heater without draining it and tell me little to no water comes out. Your home doesn't work on a vacuum but by pressure, that's why you gauge GPM along with pressure. That's why people ask "how is the water PRESSURE?" That original post is by someone that doesn't know what they are doing or talking about.

Reply to
TexasPoonTappa

Maybe he had a tank woth "strap-on" or "band" elements. Unlikely at this point in time, but possible. I remember our old water heater at home had strap-on elements. I HAVE also seen lowere insert elements changes without draining and only a gallon or two of water escaped. Just turn off the water supply. With no pressureized water coming in, if air can't get in, water can't come out. if the only place air can get in is also the only place water can get out you just need to be faster than the bubble(s). (My dad was an electrician and got pretty good at changing them with the tank full)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Sounds like something that would work, until it doesn't and then you flood the customer's basement. Like the new one won't go in right or there is a faucet somewhere left open somewhere or the kid upstairs opens one, etc. Wasn't your father charging by the hour? I'd be draining the tank on the clock.

Reply to
trader_4

Why do the elements need replaced if the water being drained is hot?

Reply to
Cat