how does this circuit work?

If you want 3p and 120/240 you use center tapped delta and the PoCo can do that with 2 transformers instead of the 3 they need for 3p wye.

Reply to
gfretwell

When both fan and light are on, there are two hots. Where is the neutral?

Reply to
Oumati Asami

How do I test if ground is used as neutral?

The main breaker is a GFIC. I have experienced unexplained tripping. Would that have anything to do with ground being used as neutral?

Reply to
Oumati Asami

Yes. Only one black is energized when fan is on. The two black wires are connected together. The parentheses represent a connector. It is like []=[]=[] where wires go into the [] from top and bottom

To put the connector into the top diagram, turn the connector ([]=[]=[])

90 degrees. So, from left to right is a, b, and c.

In this part of the world, ground is yellow/green. They are connected together.

There is only one blue wire and it is on when light is on.

So, when both fan and light are on, both a and c are energized.

Reply to
Oumati Asami

Same place it's always been? You said there was a neutral.

Reply to
trader_4

Sorry. I made a mistake in the original post. The neutral in the original should be ground. There is a blue wire, hot when light is on, two ground wires, and two black wires, one of them hot when fan is on. Please see the corrected diagram above.

The light is a ceiling recess light, not one on the ceiling fan.

Reply to
Oumati Asami

I think it is 230 v though I did not test.

Reply to
Oumati Asami

Learn something every day... That wiring diagram just has the standard black/white/ground though.

Reply to
rbowman

The light is a recessed down light on the ceiling. Sorry. When I post, it did not occur to me that some ceiling fans had built-in lights.

Reply to
Oumati Asami

It is a recessed ceiling light and it is separated from the fan. It is not part of the fan.

Reply to
Oumati Asami

It never occurs to me that people would use ground as neutral. Would that make the fixture energized when on? I just tested the light fixture, it was not energized when light was on, nor when both were on.

Reply to
Oumati Asami

----------

---------

ire for the light, a wire for the fan, two neutrals, so what's the issue?

ral. What's the issue?

The ground wire should be connected to the metal frame of the fan and light . The fan and light have a hot on one side and the other side is the neutra l. Like someone else said, if that wire is another green/yellow then it is serving as the neutral and should be marked as that. Whether it is correct ly run and terminated on the other end, who knows.

Reply to
trader_4

?             downlight

---------

--------

he neutral?  It must be

ld.

The fixture would not be energized as long as the wire is connected all the way back to the panel and connected to the neutral there. But if it got d isconnected, the light and fan would not function and the metal would be en ergized. Which is why it's not allowed by code for that kind of circuit her e in USA at least.

Reply to
trader_4

I had checked several outlets before and found them containing three wires (LNG) and being 230 V. I did not check the particular light and fan in question. I think they are 230 V also.

At first, I thought maybe the fan shared the neutral with the light. But what happens when both light and fan are on?

Reply to
Oumati Asami

----------

----------

light fixtures is 250vac 50hz. Most folks who post here are in North Ameri ca where the power supplied to regular electrical outlets and light fixture s is 120vac 60hz. Larger appliances will use 240vac. I had an instructor on ce tell the class,"Electrons are electrons." Meaning electrons are going to go where they want so you better guide them.^_^

our country. I found it. ^_^

than what is used in North America. I did some modifications to some porta ble housing units manufactured in Australia and the wiring was stranded whe re the wire used here is normally solid for use in wiring run to light fixt ures and electrical outlets. The question I have is, does the power supplie d to your lighting circuits and electrical outlets read 230vac from hot to neutral/ground? Is there a pair of hot wires at each outlet or is there jus t one hot wire? ^_^

You can have an unlimited number of devices sharing a neutral. If you have a circuit with 8 lights, there is only one neutral.

Reply to
trader_4

Just by looking, I suppose. Assuming the motor has two wires, one wire is the hot wire feeding the motor. What is the other, second, wire coming out of the motor connected to? It should be hooked to a neutral eventually going back to your panel. It shouldn't be hooked to any metal in the motor housing or frame. The same thing applies to the light. A hot wire feeding it, a neutral going back to the panel, and a separate ground wire connecting metal to metal in the various boxes containing lights, outlets, etc. The easiest way to cheat would probably be to connect the second wires out of the devices to the metal. Then the ground would be carrying the current that should be carried by the neutral.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

?             downlight

---------

--------

he neutral?  It must be

ld.

If the ground was used as the neutral, it would trip for sure when the ligh t or fan was turned on. It would probably trip even without being turned on . Like I said, the wire might be green, but it could be otherwise correctly used as the neutral.

Reply to
trader_4

Just want to make sure I understand what you said. When both the fan and light are on, the blue wire and one of the black wire (black one) are energized. Does the other black wire (black two) serve as the neutral for both the fan and the light?

When only the light is on, is the black two also energized (black one is the neutral for the light and black one and two are connected together)?

Reply to
Oumati Asami

Just want to make sure I understand what you said. When both the fan and the light are one, electricity goes from the blue wire (the light) to the black wires (they are connected). At the same time, electricity also goes from the fan to the black wires. Correct?

When only the light is on, does the electricity goes from the blue to the blacks and back to the fan?

Reply to
Oumati Asami

I am not sure/don't think both black wires are from the fan. When I separated the two black wires and turned on the fan, one of the black wire was energized and the fan wasn't turning. That's all I know. the other black may serve as the neutral for both the fan and the light.

Reply to
Oumati Asami