How do you snake a kitchen sink & how to remove a corroded steel nipple when only 1/4" sticks out?

What would a plumber have used to remove the steel nipple?

Even with the right penetrating oil, I would think they don't have the time to wait as long as it seems to take.

Reply to
Danny D.

ce you collapse it it will peel right out leave you a nice undamaged thread for the new nipple.

rome-plated metal drain tubing and crush it easily with a pair of Cha-nel-l ock pliers.

auge drain tubing.

+1 It's obviously a 1 1/2 galvanized nipple, which is commonly what you find coming out of the wall, not chrome plated drain tubing.
Reply to
trader4

A relatively small triangular file.

Reply to
bud--

My guess is a plumber would use Kroil. S/he would wait 10 minutes and if it that didn't work, would use a hacksaw blade to carefully cut a slit (or maybe two slits) in the nipple so it could be crushed and removed.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Don't need leverage......

btw, it;s not that oyu post stuff already known to me, it's that you post a lot of incorrect information as if it were correct. :(

Reply to
DD_BobK

Reply to
DD_BobK

+1
Reply to
DD_BobK

the fitting is clearly cast iron

Reply to
DD_BobK

RFC: New rules for a.h.r.

Please do not post to a.h.r unless you already know everything.

Reply to
carson ridder

DD_BobK wrote on Wed, 03 Apr 2013 23:38:06 -0700:

Clearly DD bob k doesn't know the answer (so why does he reply?).

A bottle jack, on top of a support that spread out the force so that the cabinet was protected would have provided more leverage. Strategically placed BFH blows might also have worked.

However most plumbers would have done exactly what you did, only without the pictures.

Reply to
andrew s

cabinet was protected would have provided more leverage.

the pictures.

Bummer that you know only hack plumbers....

Reply to
DD_BobK

cr-

DD post a LOT of volume....quite a lot, he posts as "facts or answers" which are clearly wrong. He has a history of NOT taking advice from VERY experienced users of this group and dragging them out with a never ending flow of "wrongness" masquerading as fact.

You've probably missed most of the threads he's started....

They begin with questions but then evolve into "lectures of experimental results presented by the class dunce" Reminiscent "frogs with no legs cannot hear"

I would suggest this instead....

Please do not post to a.h.r "established facts" when they are really just what you believe to true based on a single event & no real experience.

Besides I have hard time letting go the fact the DDD "topped" a 50+ year old oak because it blocked his view. :( And that he is an ultimately slow learner who spends his time posting drivel rather than learning....

Reply to
DD_BobK