How Do I Remove Hornets Living Under Cedar Shingle Roof?

And I will second that.

I'm a die-hard DIY'er myself and I pride myself on being able to be able to take care of my own home, but I also pride myself on knowing when to call in the professionals. This is definitely one of those situations where I would call in a pro and let them take care of it. Professionals encounter situations like this all the time and they know how to handle them.

Don't risk getting stung and end up falling off a 20' ladder just to save a few bucks. A wheelchair is a lot more expensive that what it will cost you to have those wasps professionally eradicated.

Just my .02 cents.

Reply to
Banister Stairwell

A while back some yellowjackets made a nest in the edge of the sheeting at the edge of the 1st floor roof. I ordered some seriously lethal bee/wasp poison (at a seriously lethal price) not available in NJ from a FL company that shipped it to NJ :) I mixed it with all kinds of recommended baits, jelly, chicken, hamburger..yada yada yada. They would have none of it. After watching their morning routine (this was early spring), they would wake up with the warmth of the sun around

9am crawl out from the edge of the roof onto the roof about 6 or 7 inches away and rest in the sunlight for less than a minute or 2, then fly away. Usually one at a time, one after another. It then hit me how to get'em. I liberally painted some poison on a spare roof shingle (wasn't sure how it would effect the shingle color, and it did) and laid it on the roof, flush with the edge. Sure enough, when they came out they walked right through it and rested on the deadly shingle. I watched them do this 4 mornings in a row. And then they were gone.

Now if you're bent on trying something you could paint a little poison on the entrance every other day or so (at the right time of course). Or hot glue a little balsa landing pad right at the entrance.

Reply to
KK from NJ

The petro product all burned off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've heard of propping a vacuum cleaner hose near the exit hole. Maybe one with a removable bag, so you don't have to tip them out like a shop vac.

Maybe put the hose up to a tailpipe of a running vehicle for a few minutes before you change the bag.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For nests in the ground, a very large kettle of boiling water has sometimes done the job. If you don't want to use water, you can use dihydrogen monoxide. You can read about that at

if I remember the URL correctly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not sure about sevin, but I've used products from

and found them effective. Something for wasps?

Their pantry pest traps did a job on my mealworms.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

How would you know? I bet it didn't. I bet some soaked into the ground where there was no O2 for combustion.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I'm starting to see the light.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Think I'll pass standing on a ladder swatting hornets or wasps.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Interesting idea, but the entrance to their nest isn't vacum cleaner nozzle friendly.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

If I didn't have to get on a 20+ laddrr I might try it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks, \ Mike

Reply to
Mike

Nest is under some old cedar shingles over the kitchen bay window.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Mike

That's an idea.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Good ideas. What's the name mof the chemical you used?

Mike

hamburger..yada

Reply to
Mike

"Mike" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

I used Tempo SC

KK from NJ
1 more thing... I did a fair amount of reading about it before using it. Its not really designed for bees/wasps but extremely lethal to them. Mostly made for spraying, if its applied incorrectly and some mist floats over to some flowers, you wipe out a bunch of innocent pollinators. Not very good.
Reply to
KK from NJ

----------------------------------------------------------- spam: snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov wordgame:123(abc): (Barry Mann) [sorry about the puzzle, spammers are ruining my mailbox]

Barry Mann

There is an observation and an idea I hope someone will check out. I notice that when a hive is abandoned (natural causes) it is never reused and there is never another one built near it. It is as if the abandoned hive has an aura of death around it that the hive insects avoid.. I wonder will putting a few abandoned hives around an occupied hive will drive the occupants away.

Reply to
KLM