How do I remove gun cleaning smell from sox?

Hi All,

I bought some military surplus sox from a surplus store. They are rather nice sox. Silver threads too for the foot stink.

Problem: they smell of gun cleaning fluid and gun oil. The fumes gives a member of my family pretty nasty asthma. It is not washing out. Tried baking soda, sodium percarbonate (main ingredient in Oxi), TSP. No joy.

How do I remove the smell?

Many thanks,

-T

Research removing motor oil or hydraulic fluid from clothes. Try drying them on a clothes line on a nice sunny day.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I have a bunch to read through.

Hmmmm:

WD40 is the smell I want to remove

Sorry can't help you with the used socks. < ugghh >

But - for many years now, I've worn army surplus boots for mowing the lawn. - all leather inside & out - no steel toe - nice wide width - half sizes - already broke-in - very durable insole insert - they last and last and last - even the eyelets and laces seem to be indestructible Sad to say I can't find them anymore - the newer ones that I've seen have the ~ fabric <thinsulate> lining that wears out long before the boot does ... :-( John T.

Reply to
hubops

I was wondering if a dry cleaning might help. I would use solvent with no residual odor.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Wash them, but with a long pre-soak.

Google laundry stripping, there are lots of articles. But basically you let them soak with laundry detergent, washing soda, and borax, all easily available. I would be very surprised if a 4 hour soak did not remove the smell.

I use a much smaller soak if there are really stinky gym clothes in the wash. Just start the washer until the soap is all mixed, turn it off for half hour (gym clothes) to four hours, and turn it back on and let it cycle. Or do it in a bathtub or five gallon pail like the websites suggest.

Reply to
TimR

Used socks! Double yuk!!!!

They are still new and unworn.

They have been under vacuum for a second time to break their vapor bonds (helps with perfumes a lot) and are now soaking for a second time in EM1 (a hydroponic bacteria).

So it the next time through the machine and they still smell of gun cleaning fluid after baking soda, sodium percarbonate, TSP, they are going to Good Will. (I have no source of Borax that has not absorbed perfumes to the point that it actually adds perfume to our cloths in the washer)

Try isopropyl alcohol. Even 50% or less in water. It may destroy the socks, but it should get rid of the oil. Ethanol would work too, but that's mostly to drink.

Reply to
Leonard Blaisdell