How do i do 6x9 foot window replacment?

I have 9 2x3 glass panels with 1 inch wood framing. About 60 plus years old. Anderson wznts 12,184 bucks I can do 3 double hung but how do i connect them?

Reply to
Thomas

There's no pictures of the current situation for us to reference, so all we can do is guess.

You say that you "can do 3 double hung" but you don't say if you mean replacement windows or new construction windows.

A simple explanation for replacement windows follows, but I'm sure it won't be this simple:

1 - Remove the current window(s) back to the single large rough opening. 2 - Create 3 smaller rough openings by placing a 2 x 4 at 1/3 and 2/3 of the large opening. 3 - Install one double hung replacement window in each of the 3 smaller rough openings. 4 - Apply trim, inside and out

Note that with replacement windows, especially 3 of them, you are going to lose a lot of glass area. The same process might work for 3 new construction windows, but it make take more than just a 2 x 4 at the 1/3 and 2/3 locations.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Don't neglect the flashing.

Reply to
TimR

Things like that are done all the time. Did similar on my last house. Talk to the window manufacturer and they may have a ready made filler for it. Should be nowhere near the price you were quoted. Mine was done by a local lumber yard/home store. No longer have the quote but I had 10 Pella windows done for less than that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Talk to a good window dealer. 3 Double hungs or 2 casements and a fixed glass would work well - even if it is a bow window. Good vinyl new construction windows can be "married" to do the job. We did a lot of them at the 2 window companies I worked for 20-30 years back. For a bow there is a little bit of custom trimwork required - but some manufacturers actually have the parts.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Done with new construction there is no flashing required - which is the beauty of it.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Back in the day it was an $8000 Canadian job with premium vinyl.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Is 12k normal? I want new but do not need it, it is just old and ugly.

Reply to
Thomas

Try someone other than anderson, who overcharge. Avoid Renewal By Anderson who really seriously overcharge.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

To do it right, 12K is likely not too far off. today.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Can't find what I paid but it was nowhere near that. A good double hung window is in the range of $300 to $350. So you have $1200 for windows, another few hundred for materials. Two men two hours to removed the old windows. Two men another few hours to install. Call it $1500 for labor.

I don't see more than $4k or so.

Look at the single window estimates here. Now asy can I come up with 12k

Ed Pawlowski

Only you can tell us what is "normal" based on your exact situation and location. We really don't know what it would take to replace *your* old window in *your* house.

Standard procedure for any job is to get at least 3 estimates. That is what will help you determine what is "normal" for your window, in your house.

Reply to
DerbyDad03