How do I disconnect a light fixture

How do disconnect a light fixture on a wall (in my house)? I have hard wired, wall switched, wall sconces that I want to take down (and cover with a picture).

Shutting off the breaker and disconnecting the wires is obvious, but what do I do with them? I want to leave the switches alone and simply "tie-off" the power to the lights, leaving the wiring where it is in the wall. But I don't want to leave a hot spot in the wall if the switch gets left in the on position. How do I do this?

Reply to
dayran

Put some electrical tape or wire connectors on the ends of the wires. Get blank wall plates to put on over the in-wall boxes. As an extra precaution you can disconnect the load wire off of the switches, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Just stick wire nuts over the ends of the wires.

Reply to
Steve Barker