How can I tell if coax has a break?

In theory you are. However there is not very much difference in range. Sort of like switching on a 60 watt light buld outside at high noon in bright sunlight.

There are two losses. One due to the very small extra loss in the coax and the other maybe the transmitter will reduce power to protect the final transistor in the transmitter due to a higher SWR.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Thanks Ralph and everyone. I learned quite a bit about this. It makes me wonder how many cb's are returned to the store because they "don't work".

Reply to
Thomas