Hot Water fill problems on Maytag MVWC500VW

Hi All,

First off, yes I put the hoses on right!

Just purchased a Maytag Centennial MVWC500VW washer.

It has an interesting defect/feature: when the water temp switch is set on "Hot", it runs cold water in along with the hot. Hot is always on. Cold goes on for about ten seconds, then off for 10, and repeats until the tub is filled. (It destroys my ability to do a hot wash.)

Question: is this a feature of a defect?

If it is a feature, is there a way to disable it?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

My GE washer has an auto temp feature that sometimes cycles the hot and/or cold to get the right temperature. I don't know if you can disable the feature or not. But you could always shut off the cold water supply so all that fills up is hot water.

Reply to
Mikepier

It's a "green" feature. This one ensures E. coli and other fecal germs survive the wash cycle.

Either shut off the cold water inlet valve while the washer is filling, or if you're smart, return your washer and buy a Speed Queen (by far the best top loaders made today):

<nospam

Yes, it sounds like automatic temp control of the water, which in general is a good idea. For example, if for COLD temp it just filled with cold water, that water could be 65 deg in summer in one location and 40 deg in winter somewhere else, which would affect cleaning properly. But I would suspect as cited above, that to meet Energy Star ratings, in more recent years they have probably brought down the max hot temp. Per some of the above advice, you can try turning off the cold while it fills. But clearly that&#39;s a pain, you then have to be there at the right time to turn it back on or the rinse will not work, etc and also it wouldn&#39;t surprise me if on some of the new intelligent machines that could cause a fault.

Reply to
trader4

I do not know if this thread is too stale, but I took your advice and returned the Maytag for a Speed Queen 44. It was not the easiest of affairs, the Speed Queen dealer being an hour and a half away.

Anyway, Margo says the Speed Queen is the nicest washer she has ever owned. The difference between the Speed Queen and The Maytag Centennial is the difference between a high school football team and the Green Bay Packers (not this year&#39;s Packers).

Wow, what a piece of crap that Maytag is: no hot water, constant out of balances, including with an empty tub of water, not front serviceable, constantly splashing water on the floor, gears that jam in place. Did I mention the grease it dumped on the floor when I moved it out.

I called Maytag and rang their ears about the hot water over ride. They did not much like me calling it an E. Coli switch (they deserved it!).

Thank you so, so much for the tip!

-T

Reply to
Todd