Horse keeps unplugging cord to stock tank (drinking water)

  • PLONK *
Reply to
Paintedcow

On 01/05/2016 10:32 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote: ...

That'll certainly be better...there should never be any loose wiring accessible where any animal can get at it -- they _will_ make a mess of it at some point and relying as you were on the GFCI as last resort when they do is just bad idea.

All the feedlots here have buried service to the waterers; the couple of fixed tanks are basically treated the same; we plumbed the service feed thru the bottom so it doesn't freeze and the heaters are also wired underground to solid junction boxes with no exposed wiring. They're

10-ft min so there's no question of turning 'em over, though...
Reply to
dpb

With bushings on the box and pipe and anywhere else the wire enters or leaves either, of course.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What you have are permanent tanks. They work well, but they are very costly to install as far as digging pipes in the ground and so on. And inside the barn, I move them around as I move animals around as well as creating temporary stalls from pipe gates, so I often use those heated buckets too. So, having something permanent limits me to animal placement. In warm weather they are all outdoors, but in winter I have youngsters and older animals indoors much of the time.

I have another horse who always tossed his heater out of his tank. (A very annoying habit). I got a piece of exhaust pipe from the muffler shop, had them put a bend in it. Then I made a hole in the wall into the adjoining feed room, and shoved it thru the wall and into the tank. The heater cord goes thru that pipe, and is plugged into an outlet in the feed room. That pipe swivels so it's easy to lift from the tank for tank cleaning. Each situation is different, and this one was tough because that horse seemed intent on tossing that heater out. Then he'd act all upset because his water was frozen when I'd check it. Sometimes they do stuff that makes no sense, and seems really stupid.

Then again, we have a kids pony who turns the light on an off in her stall. She does it at will. I dont care if she does it, I put a LED bulb in there that only uses 3W. But she turns it on at dusk and after she's done eating, she turns it off. She's very intelligent, and shows it in other ways too, such as opening the upper dutch door on her stall. I like it when they are smart like her. The small ponies seem to be more intlligent on the average.

Reply to
Paintedcow

There's an exception for GFCIs when the receptacle is on a dedicated branch circuit and identified for a specific plugged-in appliance - such as a freezer, or a sump pump.

There's the solution. It wasn't too difficult for me, but I suspect it's a bit beyond you people's technical capabilities, hence your whining.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

Sorry if the facts interfere with your observations. My crystal ball is cloudy because evidently it can't find your brain, assuming you have one. I f your dog drags it's ass across your carpet does this mean you don't have a bidet for it? It was posted for general dog owners not the elite ones like you. You know it all.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

Well, you are the exact opposite of Homo Gay. When you get done your stuff go to his place so you can hear him whine in person.

Reply to
Tekkie®

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

In this case I think "without" would be the operative word.

Reply to
Tekkie®