Hoover Washing Machine Drains as it Fills...

Hello,

I moved a Hoover A-Class 600 washing machine to a new apartment and it no longer works. When I turn it on, it starts to fill with water, but very slowly. We have great water pressure, so I think it is draining at the same time as it fills. Sure enough, if you turn it off, the water drains out right away. Is this a problem with the machine itself? Is the programming incorrectly opening the drain valve? Thanks!

~rvr

Reply to
Ryan van Roode

Into a sink? I guess not because you're not sure it is draining when it is filling.

Into a drain pipe built into the wall? Can't you lift up the hose a little and see for sure if it is draining?

I don't know that machine, but in general the draining makes it's own noise, the noise of the motor and pump running.

OTOH, filling makes only the noise of the water running and of it falling or spraying into the washer.

Can you tell if it is making the first noise too, when filling.

And running the pump motor, but if it can mistakenly do one thing, it could do both. Maybe it's doing that, but I don't know that i would call it the programming. There is no way to do this intentinally, right, I'd say that it's currently broken.

Unplug it and let it sit for 10 minutes, or better yet an hour, plug it in again and see if it is any different. Sometimes this will unconfuse an electronic device.

(OTOH, I had a Royal office copier made in about 1977, and while fixing the fuser or something I unplugged it, and when I plugged it in, it worked far worse than before. Even with the factory service manual, I got nowhere for a long time. I had no idea even that unplugging it had caused the new problem. After a lot of thought and studying the wiring diagram to figure out how it worked, it turned out that out of the 20 plug-in relays, two were latching relays, and because I unplugged the thing in the middle of a cycle, they stayed in the wrong position. There was nothing in the machine to reset them except at one particular spot in the cycle. When I figured this out and reset them with a battery (much less voltage than the rated voltage was adequate for this), the whole thing worked fine. (There was a little window in the top, which showed one of two different colors depending on if the relay was open or closed.

(Don't worry, this was made in 1977, and was much more relay dependent even than a washing machine was then, which probalby had none. Unplugging your washer won't cause such a problem, and might possibly fix it.)

Reply to
mm

Ryan,

Sounds as if the water is siphoning out the drain. Check your drain hose and the drain. Is the drain hose higher than the tub? This stuff is discussed in your owner's manual.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Highly likely. Could also be from a lack of a vent pipe in the drain. Stick a butter knife or wooden dowel between the drain hose & drain pipe to break the seal and see if that changes the problem.

Reply to
Red

Is the drain hose above the water level as it should be?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p15g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...

Thanks for all of the responses. I didn't have the manual and all of your suggestions were things I hadn't realized. Of course I solved the problem by changing nothing, waiting a few days, and trying it again. Who knows what was wrong?

~rvr

Reply to
Ryan van Roode

On 20 Mar 2007 01:37:01 -0700, "Ryan van Roode" mused:

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p15g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...

You need to check these things. It could start doing it again as a machine that epties as it fills either has the pipe ramed too far down the waste stack thus causing the water to syphon out or the waste is too low so the water simply falls out.

If it's still emptying when you turn it off it's not the drain pump.

Reply to
Lurch