home energy audit in summer. Worth it?

Hi, I've qualified for a New York State-approved home energy audit and I can pi ck any number of certified energy consultants (https://nyserda.energysavvy. com/contractors/)

I'm thinking about the blower door test and infrared camera that the contra ctor will probably use.

Is it worth it to perform this energy audit now, in late May? or should I w ait until November/December so I can get a significant temperature differen ce between inside and outside. I'm not in a rush. I'm just wondering if a nyone has had this audit, or used this equipment in summer and whether it m ade sense to do in the summer.

Thanks Theodore.

Reply to
millinghill

When we had ours done (here in Ontario Canada) they used the blower door, but no thermal imageing camera. Had it done late summer/early fall IIRC.

Reply to
clare

Time of season is irrelevant. Regardless of the temperature, the blower door test will determine air leaks. The thermal camera can distinguish whether you're losing heat or cold.

I had it done and learned much about my attic, rim joists and a few window areas. Then I had foam insulation blown on the underside of the roof deck and rim joists, which were the most leaky areas and installed a new furnace and central air with a 98% efficiency rating. The auditor does a follow up after the work to determine the difference. We improved drastically as he rated our house in the top 4% of efficiency after the work was complete which helped us receive a bigger rebate. Overall, we received rebates totally close to $4000.

The difference here is you get it for free whereas we paid for ours. I suggest you take advantage of it and learn the ins and outs of your home's weak spots. Don't wait. Have it done asap. You can improve the home before the cold weather hits again.

Reply to
Meanie

BTW, pick an independent auditor. They don't work for any specific company and thus, no sales pitches.

Reply to
Meanie