Home Depot - Potential Good News

That was not necessarily a language issue :(

I recently walked out of a HD because nobody seemed to be able to tell me where to find "pop rivets." That motivated me to get online and I now know the locations of three local hardware stores; now I just need to find a lumberyard.

nate

(oh yeah, and buy a truck or station wagon...)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Bill Clinton did a hell of a better job than the lying idiot there now. He didn't cause the death of 3000 US soldiers and the maiming of 20,000. for a totally unjustified war.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Who cares if the war was "unjustified?" We get to kill lots of enemies of this great republic. As for casualties, they are all volunteers and they recognized that in return for the permission to kill the aforementioned enemies, certain risks are involved. Just like firefighters or police.

Interestingly, 85% of the armed forces members who've served in Iraq or Afghanistan have re-enlisted. Of the remaining 15%, some retired, some died, some were disabled, and some had other obligations. Only a handful dropped out of the military because they thought the project was flawed.

If YOU don't think 25,000 casualties over three years is a good idea, that's your choice (even though we had that many casualties in ONE DAY during the Battle of the Bulge), but you shouldn't object to those serving having opportunity to kill people and destroy stuff just because YOU don't like the concept.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have a problem with training people to hate us, and training them on how to kill us. The whole thing was just blind stupidity.

Reply to
Bob F

Dumbest remark on Usenet so far in 07.

Reply to
F.H.

You tell um Adolph.

Reply to
F.H.

Or a roofrack.

Reply to
Goedjn

I think you are being sarcastic, but if he puts it into a 5% earning savings account, the interest alone could pay for 980 minimum wage earners who work 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year. ( / (* .05 210000000) (* 5.15 40 52)) =~ 980.21 (unless i mistyped someplace)

Reply to
Philip Lewis

I would subtract inflation.

However, if I got that much money, I would put most of it into a total USA stock index fund such as Vanguard "Index Total" (name of the fund in short). Long term expectation based on the past (no guarantee) is about

9% annual rate of return, or about 6% above inflation as measured by the Consumer Price Index. It can take 30 maybe 35 years to adequately average out ups and downs in the stock market based on what happened in the past. (I would say good indicators are S&P 500 with dividends reinvested when received from the 1932 low to the 1982 low, or from the 1929 high to the roughly 2000 high. IIRC, that's about 9.6% annual rate of return, and good major index funds have annual expense ratio less than half a percent so should have returned to their investors at least 9% over those periods if they existed and operated by their current rules and methods through such periods.)

I would put a few million out of such a big sum into a "prime" money market fund (or two or three) and a few million into an intermediate term bond fund (or two or three) to protect myself against the future failing to continue the stock market performance of the past 140-plus years. And

200K (FDIC limit last time I checked) into CDs of a few years, not all maturing simultaneously. And ask the bank if they offer higher interest rates for oddball maturity times - I have found it a little common for banks to do that, such as 13, 17 and 19 month CDs paying more than 12 and 18 month ones - but sometimes you have to ask; they only sometimes advertise these! Also ask more than one bank! If you want a $100K CD, also see what you can get in NYC - there is even so much as somewhat of a market rate for $100K CDs from big-name banks in NYC!

Don Klipstein

Maybe I missed something here but what has been so bad about Home Depot?

Reply to
Jon

| > Maybe the new guy can turn the place around | >

| | Maybe I missed something here but what has been so bad about Home Depot?

besides their crappy twisted and warped lumber? their incompetent staff that knows less about their products than a homeowner. their inability to give contractors a discount other than that stupid

10% that everyone under the sun seems to get. not fixing their leaky roofs, even with all their repair stuff, they still order it elsewhere.

I could go on and on and on.

Reply to
thetiler