Home Addt. - 1st Step?

We're looking at adding a second floor to our home, however I have no idea where to begin or what the costs might even be.......an architect or a contractor?

Reply to
Rob Reali

You should start with the architect, as in almost all cases you're going to need a set of plans with an architect's seal to get a building permit. The architect is the guy who knows design so the addition looks good, is functional, etc.

Reply to
trader4

Architect first.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Neither. First, find out if it is allowed under your local zoning and or building codes. Then talk to an architect. You may want to talk to contractors to see if they are interested in doing the job as a time saver for later though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good pont.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

home, however I have no idea

be.......an architect or a

Engineer first to see if what you have can carry a second floor.

Reply to
Kathy

No no...first thing is to rent and view "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dreamhouse" (1948) with Cary Grant and Myrna Loy. Then decide whether you want the lintels between the lally columns rabbeted.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

Not sure where you live, but you could contact a couple builder/remodelers and have them give you some idea what it would cost.

I added a second floor to my home in Ohio 25 years ago. I started out planning to have it done entirely by a contractor, but when their cost came in well above what I could afford, I used the ideas they'd presented and hired a guy to help with the heavy stuff and did all the finish, electric, plumbing, etc. myself.

Of course I had all the necessary permits and all, so everything was done to code (or better).

Reply to
mwlogs

"Rob Reali" wrote

Scrape off half the paint, let the yard grow wild, and put on some ratty clothes. Then get out the video camera, make a really pitiful tape of yourselves, and send it to "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition". They'll build you a new house, free.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

It also might help if you throw some car parts all over the lawn. The more rust the better!

Reply to
BocesLib