High Cost of Keeping Hot Tub Ready To Go

Can't argue with anything you said, but sitting outdoors under the stars while soaking in a 103 degree pool of water is what it's all about for us. Indoors just wouldn't be the same.

Reply to
Bryan

Thanks, will take a look. Maybe I can insulate it better than it is.

Reply to
Bryan

Insulating and temperature drop during daytime is going to be an easy experiment and a timer (depending on cost) will be another bonus.

Reply to
Bryan

I was thinking of building a 2 sided privacy lattice around the tub which might cut down on wind, but it's pretty well protected by the house and fence and deck. The electric bill wasn't a problem when we installed the unit; but after the Enron/California debacle the price of electricity has become a major household factor.

Reply to
Bryan

Well, I am the one who acknowledged that it's a luxury. One we enjoy very much, but the cost of heating our home and our hot tub has become a burden to our non-increasing revenue.

Reply to
Bryan

Without altering the system, in California, the tubs are limited to 104. It would take some cheating to break that factory barrier.

Reply to
Bryan

It uses the 50 amp 220 volt line. It'll be a fun experiment to see how long it takes to go from 80 to 104 and other permutations. Thnaks for the timer tips.

Reply to
Bryan

Game plan: Optimize insulation. Turn down temp before work and turn it up after work. Find the lowest temp that still allows a reasonable return to 103. Manual or timer. Look into timers (will tend to forget manual resulting in frustration for all). Look into solar assistance. Build 2 sided privacy lattice for privacy and to optimize wind barrier. Reduce fast food consumption and use money to pay for heating.

Thanks to everyone with all the great ideas!

Reply to
Bryan

Bryan-

You're right on target for your game plan.

I just moved from a house with an above ground spa (SoCal)

& I sure do miss it! :(

Soaking in the spa looking up at the stairs was very nice. I thought I'd tire of it but I never did.

I used to turn the heater off when I was done with it for the night. I would turn up again a few hours before I wanted to use it. I just had to remember!

I don't remember ALL the details of the installation like heater power (kW) but it was ~500 gallons (a deep 6 person, ~8x8 spa)

but I do remember if it wasn't cold outside (

Reply to
BobK207

One thing you can do right away, and it's not expensive. Buy a thermal cover for your hot tub. These go under the insulated top cover, and float on the water. A bit of a pain when you want to use it, but saves a lot of heat that would otherwise escape. I have used both the foam (red colored) and the type that looks like bubble wrap. Both seem to work well, but I prefer the foam type.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Thanks, I'll hit the spa store and pick one up tomorrow morning. Sounds like a good idea.

Reply to
Bryan

Great information. I'll test out the 5 d per hour hypothesis. It sounds like our tubs are/were pretty much the same. I always wonder, though, does reheating the tub daily cost more than just maintaining the desired temp.

Reply to
Bryan

"Dick" wrote

One can see a lot by observing. I never knew such a thing existed. I think I will get one soon, too.

You don't manufacture these things, do you? You are sure selling a lot of them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I would think that if the tub is above 98.6 the body would not be able to shed heat. I believe you. I just wonder how it works over those

5.4 degrees.

Reply to
mm

My hottub costs about $30 a month to operate in New England. My basic cable TV costs twice that. Modern, good quality, hottubs really are not that expensive to operate.

Indoor hottubs are horrible in so many ways. Bad for your house, bad for your health. You have no idea how wonderful it is to soak in 104 degree water while snow drifts down on your face.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Nope, you don't use the temp to regulate microbe growth any more than you would with a swimming pool. The other problem with temps over 104 is that is about the temp where tender skin starts to be injured.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Think in terms of lower or higher AVERAGE temperature, and the answer becomes very obvious without even doing any math.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Well, you would think it's obvious, but if the heater is kicking on 18 times for 10 minutes (total 180 minutes) to maintain a given temperature versus running for 3 hours straight to come back to temperature, what's the mathematical difference? What I'm missing here is some information about how often and how long the heater kicks on throughout a given day to maintain the desired temp; so for now my numbers are imaginary.

Reply to
Bryan

I guess I should. :-) We started using the thermal blankets when we lived in the panhandle of Idaho, and the temp could get down to 20 to

30 below 0F. Made a big difference in our propane use. That tub was installed in a deck and used propane for heat. One thing about the covers. They are just square when you get them. You have to cut to fit your tub exactly. I start by cutting the maximum size in both directions. Then I lay it on the water and cut out all the odd shapes. The better job you do, the better the seal.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

In our case, with the heater/filter running for two, one-hour cycles, we only lose a degree or two between cycles. Doesn't take long to get it back. I usually open the cover and turn on the pump, then go back in the house to change. By the time I get back, it's pretty close to temp. Even if it isn't, it will be shortly after getting in.

Dick

Reply to
Dick