Help! Sticky Bannister!

We moved into a new (to us) home recently. The wood bannisters are nearly black in places. Probably a decade of grime. I tried a wood cleaner but it left the bannister very sticky. I tried cutting through it with a 2:1 water vinegar solution and it's made it even worse! I've only done one portion of the bannister so far and am afraid to do the rest.. they may dirty but they aren't sticky.. What should I do? I can't afford to have them refinished.

Reply to
Christy

Only a decade of grime < ? > I once bought a ~ 75 year old roll top desk that I planned to refinish - until I tried some 4-0 steel wool - gently used with no chemicals - it turned out looking great - still original looking < not refinished > which I preferred. A _tiny_ bit of furniture finish on a soft cloth, once all the cleaning was done - to make a lustre. The usual advice for experimenting with wood cleaners and finishes is to try it on a small inconspicuous spot - - _before_ using it on the main part .. .. a bit late for that advice ? Good luck. John T.

Reply to
hubops

My brother cleaned his down with methyl alcohol - basically washed the old polish and dirt off along with most of the shellac. It took a short time for the remaining shellac to re-harden, then he put another coat of orange dewaxed shellac over everything and it's like new.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Maybe something silly like hand cleaner?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman