From Trash to Treasure: A Guide to Cleaning Recycled Flooring (2023 Update)

A few months ago, my family and I decided to embark on a home renovation project. We were tired of our old, worn out floors and wanted to upgrade to something more modern and sustainable. After doing some research, we settled on recycled flooring made from reclaimed wood.The installation process went smoothly and we were thrilled with the new look of our floors. However, we soon noticed that they were getting dirtier much faster than our old floors ever did. Despite regular sweeping and mopping, they always seemed to have a layer of grime and dust on them.At first, we thought it might just be because the flooring was new and needed to be broken in a bit. But as time went on, the problem only seemed to get worse. That's when I realized that I had no idea how to properly clean recycled flooring.I did some research online, but there seemed to be conflicting information about what cleaning products to use and how often to clean. Some articles recommended using harsh chemicals, while others warned against it. I was left feeling confused and unsure of what to do.That's when I decided to reach out for help. I knew I needed to find a reliable source of information to help me properly care for my floors. So, I decided to ask the experts. Can you guys help with some tips? Thanks!

Reply to
Anonymous

Hey there, friend! I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble cleaning your recycled flooring. Let's dive into the backstory that brought you here.

It sounds like you've made the eco-friendly choice to use recycled flooring in your home, which is awesome! However, sometimes these materials can come with a bit of dirt and grime that needs to be cleaned off before you can enjoy your beautiful new floors.

Perhaps you found a great deal on some used wood flooring at a salvage yard or were lucky enough to score some reclaimed tiles from a construction site. Or maybe you're looking to repurpose an old gymnasium floor or bowling alley lane for your home renovation project. Whatever the case may be, you're now faced with the task of cleaning this recycled flooring to get it looking its best.

But don't worry, I'm here to help! Here are some tips for cleaning different types of recycled flooring:

  1. Wood flooring: Start by sweeping or vacuuming up any loose dirt or debris. Then, use a solution of warm water and gentle dish soap to mop the floor, being careful not to oversaturate the wood. You can also use a specialized wood cleaner if needed. If the floors are particularly dirty, you may need to sand and refinish them.
  2. Tile flooring: Begin by sweeping or vacuuming the floor to remove any loose dirt or debris. Then, use a solution of warm water and vinegar to mop the tiles. Avoid using any harsh cleaners that could damage the tiles.
  3. Rubber flooring: Sweep or vacuum the floor to remove any loose dirt or debris. Then, use a solution of warm water and mild detergent to mop the floor. Be sure to avoid using any harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners that could damage the rubber.

Remember, before you start cleaning, always do a spot test on a small, inconspicuous area of the flooring to ensure that the cleaning solution won't cause any damage. And if you're unsure of what type of recycled flooring you have or how to properly clean it, don't hesitate to reach out to a professional for advice.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor