Problem with bent wedge anchors, how can I recover?

hi, I recently started a project to rebuild the lower portion of my shower frame (was dryrotted out). The base 2x4's were rotted so I removed them and measured out some pressure treated wood. Next, a guy at home depot suggested I use these wedge anchors and a hammer/drill w/ masonary bit to insert them.

I drilled the hole, tapped in the bolt but now the threads were all bad and I couldn't get nut on. I finally ratched on the nut and whole bolt started turning instead of just the bolt.

I tried this once again for the 2nd bolt and this time placed the nut on top before tapping it in. Again, the nut got jammed on there and the whole bolt is turning. Now, it's even worse because the tapping caused the bolt itself to start to bend.

Do these things ever work?? What I am doing wrong? Is there an easy way to recover?

Thanks

Reply to
David Roberts

Those things can be a royal PITA. What I do is use an anchor longer than I actually need and thread the nut down about 1/4-1/2" from the top, *then* tap it in. Once seated, you can tighten the nut, then cut off whatever part of the bolt that sticks out too far.Epoxy in the hole doesn't hurt either.

--Mike

Reply to
mgg

Try this. Make sure the anchor is long enough to go into the concrete by at least 1" (more for larger anchors, deeper is better)

  1. Drill hole the right size and about 1/2" or more deeper than you need it.
  2. Continue drilling the hole by pulling the drill up (almost out) and pushing it down several (maybe 6 to 7) times to clear as much dust out of the hole as possible.
  3. Place washer and nut on anchor. tighten nut to slightly BELOW the top of the anchor.
  4. Drive anchor into hole. Be careful not to hit nut.
  5. tighten nut. These anchors usually can be installed easily with the right method. You may have to sawzall off the ruined bolts and start over. hope this helps --dave

Reply to
Dave jackson

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Thanks a lot guys. That really helps. You'd think someone would design the bolt with the nut prethreaded, and a flat hex end to it. That way you could grab it with a wrench if it started slipping while tightening the nut. Oh well.

Reply to
David Roberts

Too late now, you should have seen a patent attorney before posting:-) Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman