help: repair or replace a hydraulic storm door opener?

I have a storm door with a hydraulic opener.

The opener hydraulics work fine (the door closes fully on its own), but the little latch that you move to keep the door in the open position just slides back with the hydraulics and doesn't keep the door open.

Is there anything to do to fix this? Or do I have to replace the part?

The part I'm talking about looks like this:

thanks

in advance for your advice, cowpoke

Reply to
cowpoke

I think that if you were to bend it more, (it should have a slight bend to it), it should hold tighter. I have not done this but in theory it will work, as when the body of the pnuematic closer slides along the rod the stop is pushed and since it is canted the top should "dig" in to the rod slightly. Seems that yours is not doing this. So a bend is in order.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Make sure when you position the slider to hold the door open the tab that is bent over is up. Don't know why this matters, but it does.

Reply to
RayV

You can't link to items on certain web sites, Home Depot is one of them.

Make sure the rod (actuator piston connecting rod) is clean. Many times a little oil is enough to prevent the sliding tab/latch from biting into the rod. Also, as another poster mentioned, play around with the orientation of the tab - sometimes it bites in one position and not another.

RicodJour

Thanks for the replies & info (to all).

I will try cleaning the rod, and if that doesn't work try bending the tab a bit. I'll let you know. Also - I've tried it in all orientations (pointing up, etc.) didn't work.

Til later cowpoke

Reply to
cowpoke

So I tried cleaning the rod and bending the tab, but nothing worked.

I get the feeing its the surface of the "hole" of the tab that needs to be cleaned. Does the tab slide off the rod? I am not sure of how to disassemble this...

Reply to
cowpoke

Stick a penny (sometimes needs a nickel) in between the body of the mechanism (the large tube) and the tab when you want to prop the door. In other words, let the tab "close" on the coin, pinching it between tab and mechanism. Don't know why this works, but it almost always does (maybe because it angles the tab so it "grabs onto" the rod more

-- ?)

Jo Ann

Reply to
jah213