HELP - King Dome Satellite Dish not working right

I have a 1995 Chevy Coachmen Class B with a King Dome Semi-automatic Satellite Dome on it. It has been working well for the past year. You simply park - with a view of the southern sky - using the remote control

- you set the elevation - and then press (left or right) and find the satellite with the gauges on the screen. I am usually set up within two minutes of parking. There have been times that I simply parked the camper facing the right way and we got signal immediately.

On a trip to Tampa last week - we parked - I reached for the remote - set the elevation (at least I heard the motor in the dome moving) and then started turning left and right to point the dish toward the satellite - no signals found. I then did a complete circle - no signals found. I know the unit is working because the remote control lights up - the numbers change - and I hear the two motors moving (up and down - and

- left and right).

When I got home - I took the Direct Tivo unit into the house and hooked it up to the "house dish" and it worked fine - both feeds - did I say my King Dome has two satellite feeds?

I have not done any other trouble shooting - I have not called King Dome. Lucky me - the warranty ran out just two weeks ago.

If anyone on here has a dome and has had a similar problem - please help me. If anyone has some trouble shooting steps to follow - please help me.

Here are givens -

  1. The unit is getting power because the remote control lights up and also you can here the motors turn - elevation and azimuth.
  2. The Direct Tivo works fine when hooked to another dish.
  3. I was in a wide open area with a clear view of the sky in all directions. My compass said I was pointing in the right direction.
  4. I double checked the settings for elevation and azimuth.
  5. The two satellite cable feeds are fastened tightly to the right inputs on the tuner.
  6. You can watch previously recorded programs from the Tivo on the TV - so the TV is hooked up correctly.

Thanks folks for your help. Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

Just because you hear the motors turn does not mean they are, have someone look at the dish while you are trying to turn it.

Reply to
m Ransley

You might get some good help at this NG sci.electronics.repair . The consumer electronics guys hang out over there.....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Thanks for your help. Yes - you are right - the dish may not be turning. I will have to remove the dome cover to do that though. I will do that farther down the line if I have to :-) Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

you hear the motors working, but is the dish actually moving?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer