heavy thick butchers cutting board ? Need options

I have a utiltiy sink in the basement and it is one of those really old cement dual bowl units. Its awsome.

anyway...my plumbing comes from the ceiling. I bought a new faucet for the thing that mounts the same way my old one did.

The old brackets that came from the sink broke when i took out the old faucet.

They were just 2 pieces of threaded rod that came up through the sink and mounted through the holes (eyelets) on the faucet. I cant find them at any hardware store. It looks easy enough to make but i thought rather than do that...i would try to find some 1 to 1.5 inch thick pieces of that cutting board stuff people use in commerical meat markets and grocery stores. I could drill this and mount it flush to the sink...then take another piece and butt joint it vertically and mount the faucet on that.

Problem is.....where can you get a slab of that stuff?

I thought about using green treated lumber but that seems just plain stupid. It wouldnt last.

Any ideas?

Reply to
scale

If you really want to go this direction, call around for some Santana. Should be available from commercial hardware suppliers who deal with toilet partitions. Here is a sample:

There are other manufacturers and suppliers. You just want a small piece from a broken or damaged unit. The stuff is expensive, but it machine easily and well, is virtually indestructible, and is absolutely unaffected by water.

DanG

Wood plus water equals eventual problems. You'd have to keep it urethaned or oiled religiously, or the first time the wood got wet, it would go black on you. (Butchers bleach&oil daily, assuming wood is even legal for that anymore.) If you don't want to recreate the old threaded rod mount, something that would look appropriate would be slab soapstone, or slate, or granite, like an old-time school chem lab. If you aren't fussy about color, and the size isn't too big, a local custom counter shop may give you a discount if they can use what would otherwise be an 'oops' piece. If you can mock it up in wood, and carry that in so they don't need a site visit, even cheaper.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Think 1x2" oak molding + glue + clamp + polyurethane.

Reply to
HeyBub

ya im not talking wood at all. This is the stuff you see in commercial delis or meat departments. Its white...its about 1 - 1.5 inches thick heavy plastic.

Come to think of it ...the are remodeling a rainbow foods by me. I should have checked around. I Might have found a piece.

Reply to
scale