Heating Thermostat Hookup Question

Hello:

Replacing a very, very old Honeywell thermostat with one of those new digital ones. Have a forced hot water system (no cooling).

It is a 2 wire system.

The wires coming up to the existing thermostat (a mechanical one with the mercury vial on a coil spring type) are not color coded.

Also, the screws where these wires connect to the old thermostat do Not have any molded-in labeling that I can see. May have worn off.

My question is:

Since these wires are "probably" coming from the secondary of a transformer, and operate a relay, can I safely assume, probably, that there is no polarity involved, and either can be hooked to either connector on the new thermostat that is for a 2 wire system ?

The only reason I can think of that this wouldn't be true is if this transformer secondary might have one leg grounded, but I doubt (but am not sure) that this is the case.

Any thoughts on ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

You've got a 24 volt series 80 thermostat, probably a Honeywell T87, you can replace it with any series 80 two wire thermostat. It doesn't matter which wire goes to R or W

Reply to
RBM