Heat pump SEER rating

What annoys me about those is for most of them the room temperature is supposed to be at least 16C!

The rating could be written the same though. Just base it on some average temperature. Anything which quotes "SEER" should be comparable to another unit quoting "SEER". Otherwise it has to be something like ISEER for Indian climate.

It needs to be based on an area. Tiny countries could share a SEER, big countries should have more than one.

Plenty countries have different climates but the same mains. I believe yours is the same as my mains? Yet your climate ain't.

The solution is what I just gave, different SEERS for each climate.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nope, we have different words for a reason.

Wrong with say a fridge which has a power consumption number which just tells you how much electricity it uses and the rating which also tells you how good the insulation is and so how often that power consumption happens.

Nope, that's what determines the native resolution of the camera.

But that varys with what you have chosen to do zoom wise etc.

A modern smartphone is in fact a hell of a lot more than just a telephone.

A modern smartphone does in fact do a hell of a lot more than just that.

And is far less convenient to put in your pocket etc.

Yep.

So do all the other majors.

Wrong, as always.

Corse they do.

Only with fools like you that don't have a f****ng clue.

Because the mileage you get depends on the air temp, whether the windows are open or closed, how hilly the motorway is etc etc etc.

But with an air sourced heat pump used in winter at low outside air temps, what also matters is how humid the air is etc.

Nope, that there is no fixed signal strength that you can say the phone will get 3 hours of talk time with.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not true of any of mine.

Not useful when yours isnt average.

Not even possible with heap pumps used in winter where what matters with the SEER is how much time it spends with the outside air temp below about -5C with high humiditys etc.

There is no such thing as Indian climate.

There's a reason the colonials all migrated to towns lie Shimla in the summer and let the savages shit on the ground and die like flys on the plains.

Nope, a climate.

You lot wont even share a kingdom anymore.

But the UK and USA don't.

The voltage and frequency are, but the other detail isnt.

Ours are mostly MENS, lots of yours arent.

Yours aint either.

Nope, too many for that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Who does not have 9 square feet to install a vertical loop??? That is generally MORE than enough space to drill a borehole to install the loop.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I never said it was true, I suggested it could be. Please learn to read and comprehend properly before making childish accusations.

Top Gear did a test where a BMW got better mpg than a Toyota Prius at the same speed. The Prius was maxed out, the BMW wasn't. Push something hard and it becomes less efficient.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How much humidity does sub zero air contain????? Not very much is how much. The colder it gets outside the LESS likely the system is to ice up.

At +40c 1kg of air at 100% RH holds 49.8 grams of water. At -40C that same Kg of air can only hold 0.1 grams of water. At 0c it can hold 3.8grams - at 20c it can hold 15 grams, and at -20c only 0.75 grams

Reply to
Clare Snyder

All that is fine and dandy . However if it is raining and the temperature is slightly below 0 deg C you will probably ice up very fast. That hapens a lot in the area I live in. Middle of North Carolina.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Actually it will ice up faster at 3 or 4 above than it will at zero.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The problem is the central air system draws twice that and why bother heating rooms we are not in? She turned on the electric fireplace for an hour or so in the morning in the living room while she was drinking her coffee and reading the paper, then she turned it off and went to work. I was still rolled up in a blanket in bed and by the time I got up it was warm. I can actually function OK from 60 to around 85-90 anyway so this is not really for me. These days she sleeps in too so I am not sure we will be using much heat at all.

Reply to
gfretwell

How cold? Aren't they as good as freezers, which get to -20C or less domestically, and commercial huge ones way lower.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because the heat pump has a COP of 4+? You can heat 4 rooms for the same electric that it costs to heat your 1 room with a resistance heater. You can block off a few rooms, heat 4 rooms or more for the same cost. I would think that would be an advantage for most people.

Reply to
trader_4

As others have pointed out, the systems actually installed here start to have issues when the temperature falls below freezing. If you're in an environment where that doesn't happen much, then they can still be fine. If you're where it typically goes below freezing for much of the winter and can stay there or at 10 to 20F for days, then they suck. Two problems. One is the COP declines at lower temperatures, so just when you need the heat the most, that's when the capacity of the system to turn electric into heat drops. When you're using it the most, it's efficiency isn't the best. Second is that they are sized for a balance of AC and heat. Here in the NY area, the heat system is typically about 2x the capacity of the AC. So, you'd have to put in a whopper of a heat pump and then that wouldn't be close to optimum for cooling. The above results in long recovery times, which is a pain. You can't set it back at night, it would take too long to recover. If you have it set back while on a trip or something, it takes a long time to recover, so you have a cold house. The above lead to aux electric heat kicking in, which blows out the electric bill.

Like I said, I've only heard about a couple in these parts and those were geothermal. How all that relates to a freezer, I have no idea. I've never had one set lower than 0F. And how efficient they are versus a heat pump for a whole house, IDK. A freezer is very small, it could be 2x difference in efficiency at 0F than 25F and the resulting difference in electric would still be small. Say we know a freezer costs $150 a year to run at 0F. Do we know that it wouldn't cost $50 a year to run at 25F?

Reply to
trader_4

The problem is the condenser draws more current than the space heater so it is still going to be more money to heat rooms we are not using and she won't get that blast of warm air she wants. You want to heat a whole house and she just wants some warm air blowing on her feet.

Reply to
gfretwell

Why would that be? With a COP of 4, you get 4 times the heat out of the heat pump as you do with the electric space heater. That would mean you could heat about 4 rooms for the same price as one.

That's true. How about an electric radiant heater. They direct the heat to whatever is right in front of them, without heating the whole room.

No, I was just pointing out that with the heat pump you can heat four rooms of the same size for the cost of one and that I think most people would see benefit in that.

Reply to
trader_4

This 1440w heater is part of the electric fireplace built in here. It blows out right on her feet and we don't attempt to heat the whole room. She just has it on for a little while in the morning watching Jenna and Hoda. Even then it is probably only 20 days a year.

gfretwell

So you can sleep immediately if you're tired, but that time may not be a convenient time of day if you were a 9 to 5 worker? What about having to be at the boot sales at a certain time? Or ending up sleeping during most of the daylight hours?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You could always get this, are they getting around it by calling it industrial? Rather like people still get incandescant bulbs by buying "rough service" bulbs:

It's all that weird food they eat on the continent.

But household water usage is 5%, 95% is industrial. Why bother to save a small part of the 5%?

I pay for my water, I expect it to be delivered. Any shortages are the problem of the supplier. Build more dams ffs.

Irrelevant, water is transmitted long distances through pipes.

And if you haven't left your house that week?

She's a moron and who poisoned what cats?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Gotta cite for that ? Cant find that with a quick look.

Don't believe its that low.

Doesn't matter what you expect. You don't get to decide policy.

The problem isnt the number of dams. Building more dams wouldn't fix the problem when there isnt enough rain and would increase the cost of water.

Nope.

There are few industrial towns left anymore in the UK.

There arent enough to havent to matter. Presumably those who havent will get told by their neighbours if they try watering their lawns when that usually soggy little island doesn't have a big surplus of water.

She poisoned your cats when you pissed her off.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If I pay for something, I want to get it, or I stop paying for it.

Double the dams, double the amount of water caught before it just flows into the sea unused.

There is industry somewhere, using that 95%, as per the link earlier.

Like I listen to my nosy neighbours.

I have no evidence that anyone has ever poisoned any of my cats. A couple went missing, one was run over, but none have ever been poisoned.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That doesn't say that about the UK and nothing like that about industrial either.

Water doesn't work like that in a drought and those who have metered water do stop paying for what they arent allowed to use when there are water restrictions.

Doesn't work like that either because you lose so much of the water by evaporation and seepage.

That link says nothing of the sort about the UK.

You cant plead ignorance when they tell you.

That's because you are so stupid, drugged and pissed to even notice.

Reply to
Rod Speed