Heat Problems

Hi. I decided today to replace the old mercury thermostat with a new digital one. I turned off the breaker, removed the the old one, labelled all the wires, and installed the new one. When I attemped to start the heat, nothing happened. After I rechecked my work, I re-installed the original one. Now that does not work either. Switching the fan to on and trying emergency heat does nothing as well. My heating system consists of an outside york heat pump, an inside york blower, and a hyrokinetic unit. The hydrokinetc unit appears to working fine, as the pipes are too hot to touch and it kicked on a little while ago. My assumption is something is wrong in the connection between the thermostat and the blower or some part failed. Can anyone provide any insight? Since its Saturday, I'm probably stuck until Monday. Hope it doesn't get too cold. I have some qualified help coming over tomorow, but maybe I can get some ideas of where to look. Thanks.

Reply to
damonl73

Thanks for the help. The fan unit is model #N2AHD10A06A. The manual for the outdoor covers models E1EB0xA06, where x could be 18, 24, 30, or 36. I flipped the breaker off in the fuse box before I started. Thanks again.

Reply to
damonl73

Thanks for taking the time to provide so much information. I appreciate the advice. I am going to leave it alone for now and save this for tomorrow, when someone far more knowledgable than me about electricity and hvac will be here to take a look. Thanks again.

Reply to
damonl73

There are no LEDs at all on the blower unit, at least not that I could find. There are a couple of components behind the panel inside the blower, maybe one is the transformer you mentioned? I'm crossing my fingers I can get through this for less than $500. And this will be the last DIY project where this much is on the line. I'll stick to what I know. Thanks.

Reply to
damonl73

If you have a FRP airhandler you blew the fuse on the control board. You did cut the power off at the airhandler when you started this didnt you?

If its not an FRP airhandler, post the model and serial of the York airhandler (blower) AND the outside York unit, and I will pull up a diagram and find out what you MIGHT have fried if you didnt turn the power off at the blower.

Reply to
steve

Thats a old early 90s blower that has no fuse, or board in it. Not seeing what you have, its going to be hit and miss, and I dont do hit and miss well, since its about getting it fixed the first time, and that requires being there. I will offer this...chances are you have wired the stat wrong, and taken out the transformer. Old letter designations on units are NOT what is used today, and many cheaper thermostats, like Lux, Hunter and those China made units at Home Depot use letters that DO NOT match up with the wiring of old, and the end result is that you burn up a transformer, or board. You COULD still have burned out the board in the outdoor unit, rather, the YorkGuard Module that is used in those units, and if you did, the retail price is $455.14....those units are some of the more expensive ones out there to replace...and even require a special York supplied scan tool to properly work on the unit...

At this point, you can do one of two things, since you state that the old stat wont work either.

1- Stop now, and call a tech out to find out what you did wrong, and repair it. 2- you can see if you have 24VAC on the R and C line. If you do, then you have something wired wrong. The trick is, no one here can see what is wired where, and that requires option #1..unless you are familiar with the wiring.

As help, but with not a guarantee in the world that your unit is wired correctly, and with the hydronics unit wired in with it, all bets are off as to how it could be wired, but if you have 24VAC at the R and C, you need to insure that you have your O, Y, W1, W2 and G wires in the correct locations and you need to insure that the X that you have or stated you have, isnt the feedback loop off the outdoor unit....if it is, and you wired it like a C, you are out at least $400 for the new module. The YorkGuard uses letter designations that are the same, to a point, but add several that do other things that no one elses does.

I suggest that if you have to call in a tech, that you go to Yorks website, and use the dealer locator to find a company that can work on your unit correctly, as we get called all the time by others because we have the tools and scantools for that module...sounds like you might need that.

Reply to
steve

No problem, but remember what I said about that YorkGuard module. Its been superceeded a couple of times and the new one is NOT cheap. Also, if the unit you have has LEDs on it, if they are glowing dim....thats bad.

Reply to
steve

There is no module in the airhandler, it is outside in the unit you have there. The airhandler will, or should, unless its been moved to the hydronics unit, a transformer..thats your thermostat power.... The YorkGuard module outdoors in the unit will have the LEDs, and something as simple as one wrong wire, can kill it...

Reply to
steve

Thanks for your helpful advice. Turns out it was just the transformer in the blower unit as you expected. We replaced that, reset the fault in the heat pump, and all is now well.

Reply to
damonl73

Thanks for your helpful advice. Turns out it was just the transformer in the blower unit, as you expected. We replaced that, reset the fault in the heat pump, and all is now well. Total cost of repairs was $14, and a few hours of my dad's time.

Reply to
damonl73

No problem, glad it was simple and cheap.

Reply to
steve