Should *I* paint over paneling?

I'm trying to decide what to do with the basement (late 70's) paneling--it's either a quick sand and paint or drywall? Opinions? The house will be sold within the next year or two.

Reply to
Darryl

I think I've got the same paneling in the basement of a house I plan to own for a good while. I'm going with the sand and paint option. I've seen it done before, and if you sand adequately and use a decent primer, the result is nice.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Save both of you some work. A through washing with a stong soap (like TSP), quality primer and paint. Beats the hell out of sanding any day.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

What sort of grit are you going with? 320? Although I do like Colby's suggestion of TSP instead of the sanding :-) But TSP is a cancer-suspect agent, isn't it?

Reply to
Darryl

Since you're selling soon, I'd just prime and paint.

I'm not sure washing is easier than sanding, if you have a sanding pad that attaches to a pole [like drywallers and some painters have]. A paint shop will have pads and poles.

And 320 seems awfully light to me. I'd go with nothing less than 200, probably 150. Or you go with the sanding screens.

Reply to
Hopkins

There are TSP substitutes but always wear gloves. Be sure it wasnt waxed or oiled or clean it real good. There are alot of nice Paper liners that can be used and painted over. What you do depens on the house and quality of job you want. Painted paneling is just that, painted paneling.

Reply to
m Ransley

I tried the no-sand routine in a small room with the same paneling. The paneling is so slick that a slight bump with anything will knock loose a chunk of paint. Next time, I'll spend a few minutes sanding. The random orbit sander (or maybe a pole sander) will make fairly quick work of it...

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

If it is a gloss paneling sanding and primer for gloss surfaces is needed, not cheap all around primer

Reply to
m Ransley

If you're selling it, leave the big work (drywall/remodeling) for the next guy. Some of the new primers, such as Benjamin Moore's Fresh Start, would be a good choice. You can paint over gloss paint, formica, etc. without sanding. Of course sanding will give you more bite and all, but if you're selling save yourself the sanding and dust routine.

RicodJour

How much will this affect the sale price?

Reply to
RMUH

Depending on the panning and it's condition you may not need to sand (a good cleaning may be sufficient) or sanding may not work at all (paper finished paneling)

Drywall would normally be my suggestion, but it is really a personal choice. I have seen some situations where painted paneling looked great and many where it looked like painted paneling.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I painted my paneling which was stained and discolored (circa 1962). I don't regret it. Use a good primer like Zinsser BIN. Consider painting the trim and baseboards a different color.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Could you just leave it as it is? If not new drywall will certainly present a better appearance than old painted paneling. If you do decide to paint, consider filling the grooves in the paneling with some type of caulk or filler. It may look better than just painting the paneling.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Have you considered wallpaper? use quality paper and no one can tell what is under it.

Reply to
Anonymous

Aw man. If you weren't selling it, I'd say leave it alone. In 5 years it will be all the rage; and if you can find some avacado appliances and shag carpet - you'd probably get triple your asking price.

You all think I'm being a smartass - I can hear you whispering!.....

But just wait, watch, and see.

Reply to
Matt Morgan

Lol!

Thanks for all the replies and laughs! I still haven't decided what to do, but I've got all the input I need to make the decision.

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl