Header over tub

What is the function of the header over the tub in a bathroom. I mean that drop down about a foot of the ceiling? Is it just cosmetic or does it have a function?

Reply to
gfretwell

I believe you're talking about a soffit which is purely cosmetic.

Reply to
trader_4

I think I've seen that but I haven't got one.

Just a shower bar. Actually it's probably better with an empty foot above the shower bar because I can throw one end of my clothes over the bar when I'm drying laundry. If it were only two empty inches, I'd have to stand on something and feed the clothes through the empty slot.

Reply to
micky

I heard back from a few different people and the ones who really came up with an answer said it was all about keeping humidity in the shower and now that we have better ventilation mandated, it is probably not necessary. I certainly hope so because my FIL's shower has a 2 foot square hole in the header. I was running wire to new cans and it was a lot easier than crawling 47 feet through a 3:12 attic that was over

100f today. I still had to make one trip to get the wire down in a wall but it was one trip and not 3 or 4. They are going to start the demo Monday and the header is on the list to go away (along with the tub, all the tile and some tacky wall paper).
Reply to
gfretwell