Have you had to replace your fuel pump?

On 10/11/2012 2:46 PM, Vic Smith wrote: ...

The problem in general is there's almost always something else in the way in a modern vehicle where stuff is so cramped...the stinkin' LeSabre (and I'm sure a lot of others) had the battery under the rear seat cushion for pete's sake!!! Pita to drag that big ol' thing outta' there to get to that on a cold, rainy day in the hospital parking lot... :(

Did the tank in the '98 Chebby 4x4 not long ago 'cuz the purge valve failed and the pump sucked it in and collapsed it. It wasn't too bad 'cuz can get under it w/o too much trouble. The biggest pita on it actually was the gas line disconnects at the tank--they're a springloaded fitting on a cast plastic fitting on the top of the fuel pump. There's a little specialty "tool" that's supposed to release the three fingers and let slide off but getting it in there and getting them to release under the truck w/ the restricted access and no leverage is not any fun at all. I'd gladly have the old line fittings w/ a tubing wrench...I was tempted to chop 'em off and replace w/ just a hose clamp but finally did manage it...

3rd party replacement tank was about $115 while The General wanted $1100 for the OEM tank alone...don't recall the fuel pump--think even the Delco there is only $200 online. The PU could have access thru the bed except there's a 150 gal diesel tank sitting where it would have to be and it was more trouble to move it than crawl under...

--

Reply to
dpb

If he even got that far. With all the engine controls today that are interdependent on each other, who knows what happens when there are no longer injectors. Like what does the engine control computer then do with timing? My guess is the computer is going to go into some limp home mode, if he's lucky... But I sure wouldn't have any dreams that the engine is going to run optimized and perform like one wants it to.

I think the claim that the fuel injectors suck more gas than a carb is bogus too....

Reply to
trader4

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 05:39:37 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in Re Re: Have you had to replace your fuel pump?:

vehicles instead of people getting away with repairing them. Last week I did something as simple as replacing my spark plugs, or so I thought. It was impossible to even unplug the cables without a special tool that costs about $50.00. If people would at least stop buying cars because of all their new fancy features and accessories the manufacturers might get the message. It looks like a jungle under the hood of the new cars.

98% of it
Reply to
CRNG

I dropped about 10% mileage when they went to E10. Might just have well pumped the gas full of air.

Reply to
krw

In some states, anyway, (VT and NY included) *any* changes to the original equipment is an automatic fail. Even the wrong engine for the car, even though some of that model came with the engine, is an automatic fail. ...if they notice, anyway.

Of course it is. There is no way a mechanical monster is going to be a computer controlled injector and ignition.

Reply to
krw

Well, not really...despite the lower Btu rating, the ethanol does raise octane rating and aids in meeting emission limits. If weren't using it, the cost to meet octane needs and emission standards would mean CA summer-gas-like prices through rest of US and more like what they're now experiencing w/ the present supply disruptions there...

It's cheaper than the alternative additives to meet the same requirements (which is why refiners are and have been using well over the minimum amounts that would meet the mandatory use levels.

Reply to
dpb

Which begs the blindingly obvious question...

If Toyota engineers thought it was a good idea, and I think it's a good idea, and you think it's a good idea, then why the he11 doesn't Detroit think it's a good idea?

It just seems our society funtions on waste. We intentionally put fuel pumps in gas tanks even though the old mechanical pumps were very reliable and seldom caused any problems. And, we intentionally DON'T make it easy to replace that pump if it does fail. And GM and Ford do that because they think that once the customer has purchased one of their vehicles, he then becomes a cow to be milked regularily.

My Toyota Corolla had an in-tank fuel pump, but there was a panel in the trunk for easy access to that pump. My sister's Ford Taurus had to have it's fuel pump replaced three times and each time the fuel tank had to be dropped cuz there was no removable panel in the trunk. Is there any freaking wonder why more and more people are buying Japanese and South Korean cars?

Someone needs to explain to someone in Washington that you don't become rich by making junk that your dealerships have to repair often. You get rich buy making a quality product that doesn't have to be repaired often, cuz then everyone will want your product, just like most people in the world would prefer a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic over a Ford or Chevy.

Reply to
nestork

On 10/11/2012 7:10 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Oh, and if the vehicle is properly tuned, you really shouldn't see more than about a 5-6% drop in mileage based on the relative energy densities of an average gasoline blend and E10...

Reply to
dpb

I was pro-active on that one. I took my car to the battery store when it was over five years old and cold weather was coming. I have no idea how much longer it was going to last, but it did not let me down but I figured it would in the winter. Second battery was still working when I got rid of the car.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"well tuned" LOL!

Reply to
krw

I've never had to repair one - and my vehicles have all, up untill the last 2, gone well over 200,000km.

I've replaced quite a few for customers in the past - most of them too darn cheap to replace fuel filters.

Either you are getting bad pumps or bad gas and are too cheap to change filters.

Reply to
clare

And I've NEVER seen a fuel injected engine that uses more fuel for the same sized engine than a carbureted engine unless it also made significantly more power.

Reply to
clare

And costs AT LEAST as much to install the aftermarket pump as the OEM - so it is often cheaper overall to install the good pump the FIRST time.

Reply to
clare

vehicles instead of people getting away with repairing them. Last week I did something as simple as replacing my spark plugs, or so I thought. It was impossible to even unplug the cables without a special tool that costs about $50.00. If people would at least stop buying cars because of all their new fancy features and accessories the manufacturers might get the message. It looks like a jungle under the hood of the new cars.

It is definitely progress.

You don't need to change the plugs every 12000 miles any more - or adjust the carb and clean the choke, or rebuild the carb every 2 years. No more timing adjustments. No more points to burn, or even distributar caps and rotors to crack. A tuneup today is virtually a thing of the past.

Also, gone are the days of throwing a car away at under 100,000 miles because the engine is totally worn out. Accurate engine controls prevent overfueling from washing the oil off the cyls and wearing the rings out - and valve jobs are also virtually unheard of because, in large part, there is less engine deposits like carbon and lead building up, and the chances of running too lean under load causing a valve to burn are also greatly reduced.

Years ago there were service stations and garages on every other corner - and the service bays were busy most of the time. Today, with a whole lot more cars on the road, there are a lot fewer garages and service stations - and you can fire a cannon through most of them half the time without hitting anyone or anything.

Reply to
clare

Volkswagen and Audi have had them back there for decades. Remember my

1949 VW. On the 1928 Chevy it was under the floorboards. Same on the 65 Chevy Van.
Reply to
clare

Ah, that explains it. I was picturing the standard size soccer mom van.

My 89 F150 ate the main tank fuel pump right after I had filled it with $4 gas. Asked the mechanics to verify it was the pump, not wiring ...it was. Unfortunately the tank was near empty when I got it back. Since they didn't charge for the check I guess we came out about even.

I only use the truck for hauling firewood, low mileage use so just left it an run on the small tank.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

more vehicles instead of people getting away with repairing them. Last week= I did something as simple as replacing my spark plugs, or so I thought. It= was impossible to even unplug the cables without a special tool that costs= about $50.00. If people would at least stop buying cars because of all the= ir new fancy features and accessories the manufacturers might get the messa= ge. It looks like a jungle under the hood of the new cars.

Reply to
recyclebinned

They do, but it add $1.25 to the cost of a car so they don't do it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't recall seeing fuel filter replacement as a required service in the manual. I'm not use where they are these days either, but they are not easily accessed like days of old.

The tank in my '91 Regal rusted out on top (sand and salt) and had to be replaced. The shop replaced the filter at that time because they had to remove it anyway.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The 'puter should do it...blame the programmer!!! :)

--

Reply to
dpb