Hardwood floor: touch-ups?

My brother and I just restored the hardwood floor in a home I recently bought. Stripped old finish to wood, proper sanding, applied three coats of Minwax Super-Fast Drying Gloss polyurethane. Let each coat sit for 24 hours, lightly sanded using electric hand sander with 220-grit between each coat, vacuumed & tacked floor properly after each light sanding.

Problem: After applying a third and final coat, and letting it sit for

24 hours, we discovered some small, irregularly shaped patches (largest maybe 6-inches x 3-inches) in a few places (maybe 5 or 6 spots) that we apparently missed when putting down the final coat (final coat was applied two days ago, and floors have been left alone since). What is the proper way to deal with these spots? Can they be touched up? Should they be left as-is? Should an additional coat be applied to the entire floor?

Of course, even if we apply another coat (which we *really* don't want to do), we could very well end up with the same problem. If another coat is advisable, any tips on how to best avoid patches like this in the future? We were using 500-watt halogen worklights, and felt that we had adequate lighting for the job, but we didn't notice the missed patches despite the lighting.

A lesser concern: we also have noticed a section of floor where the polyurthane looks especially thick, as though it pooled a bit, and now has a slightly raised, wavy edge (about 12"-18" in length). The area where it is located will likely be covered by an area rug, so I'm not too concerned, but, for posterity's sake, I'd like to know how to deal with it, in case I choose to do so.

Just trying to get some advice on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

-Jon

Reply to
Jon

An electric hand sander is not the way to make the job easy. Rent a floor scrubber-buffer and use the grit pads. You can do rooms fast. Pros I have seen use a lambs wool aplicator. Go to a real raint store and building supply or rental, The right equipment will make the job

10x easier. Yes you should recoat all the floors in one step
Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
nospambob

Yes you can just touch these areas up. Just sand again, feathering into a good area and apply the minmax. I use this technique all the time although my finish is satin.

BTW I'm not a pro so take my advice based solely on my experience.

J>My brother and I just restored the hardwood floor in a home I recently

Reply to
Shrek

Touch up an area in the middle of a floor and not see a sheen difference ! You need better glasses , Shruk.

Reply to
m Ransley