Hardwood floor refinishing questions

I refinished my hardwood floors in my kitchen with oil based semi- gloss poly (3 coats poly, 1 coat stain). One year later, my loving wife decides that she doesn't like the gloss and wants to me to redo the floors in a satin finish. Can I just lightly sand or screen the floor and apply one coat of new poly or do I need to completely remove the existing poly? Can I use a water based poly on top of the oil based poly?

At the same time I did the kitchen, I also did the dining room (2 coats stain, 3-4 coats poly). The dining room is adjacent to the living room which was carpeted at the time. Now the wife wants the carpet out and the floor refinished. Can I refinish just the living room? I am concerned that at the junction of the living room and dining room, I will see a visible transition line. Or should I just put two coats of poly on the living room, then light sand both the living room and dining room and then apply a third coat? The dining room was finished with an oil based poly. Can I use a water based poly for the living room or will there be a noticeably difference?

Reply to
noname87

Lightly sand and clean it then re-poly it. Since you already have oil based poly down I wouldnt just put water on top of it. I would be afraid if it doesnt bond right, it'll peel in a year or two.

If you can get the same finish (poly) for the floor you might have a shot. This also depends on how much sunlight you might have in the area because poly yellows from light.

I blend the area in you might just be better off sanding and refinishing the entire area. As for using water based poly, I am not sure how well it holds up to foot traffic. I perfer oil based because of how durable it is.

Tom

Reply to
tksirius