Hanging drywall 8' 4"

I need to cover a wall with drywall and wanted to know what to use. The wall measure 8' 4" floor to ceiling. Should I buy: A.) 8' pieces and use some scraps to fill the other 4" ? B.) 9' or 10' pieces and but to exact length ?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Sid 03

I'd buy the 9' sheets and eliminate the tape and mud of a seam. Used to be a small price difference but I've not bought any in a while.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Adding to my previous reply. If you are putting a baseboard higher than the seam you can get away with filler pieces since it would cover the joint.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Because of the vaulted ceiling in our kitchen/dining area the height of the drywall is over 8 feet . I put the narrow strip at the bottom since I'm going to have tall baseboards . Sounds like the OP plans to run the sheets vertically ... professionals run them horizontally . There are 2 reasons for this . One is that the board is more rigid in the long dimension , the other is that a long vertical seam is much more difficult to finish than 2 half-height verticals .

Reply to
Snag

I appreciate your feedback, But, trying to avoid a bunch of short choppy pieces, both techniques vertical or horizontal ends up wasting some material.

Reply to
Sid 03

I would rather waste some material and avoid joints.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's the answer that I wanted, just needed to have someone else say it. Now I can show this answer to my wife !

Reply to
Sid 03